Hi Model Flyers

My son & I have been flying for a couple of years now & as you would expect my son's skills are improving much faster than mine. We both build aswell as fly & my son is looking for a plan or kit for a short nose FW190 to build over the next year or so. Any suggestions for an appropriate plan or kit from you guys in the know?

Keith Lewzey

Advert

Just a few more details:
-The subject I would like to model is the fw 190A (not the D, possibly the F)
-I would consider anything under 7 kilos weight (although as a junior flyer cost is important as my budget isn't endless
-I would consider either a kit or a plan although I would prefer a plan because it would be cheaper!

Jonathan Lewzey

Hi Jonathan and Keith, If you take a look at RCUniverse there are several guys building 190a try the following link it shows the progress of a 58" 190a.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3707553/anchors_3707553/mpage_1/key_fw190a/anchor/tm.htm#3707553

If you do a search on the 190a there are several hits.

Hi Danny, I was just looking at your post about Brian Taylor plans just after I made my last post. I went & had a brief look at the Unitracts site which looks interesting with the sets of CNC parts they offer. As Jonathan said above the D version is the only one he really doesn't want (that long front end just doesn't work for him & I see what he means) so the Reeves option is out I think. The only advantage with the D is the help you would get with C of G with the long nose.

Cheers
Keith

Hi Keith, this is also the problem with the Hurricane. The nose is very short, and you need to really build the aft section light to avoid too much lead in the front. Several plans extend the nose slightly to allow for this, but not as far as I can tell, Brian Taylor.
The Unitracts site also does some cracking retracts systems for the BT drawings, so will probably be sourcing mine from there at some point.
If you do get the BT drawings and laser parts from Bob Holman, Bob gets Brian to ship the cowling, canopy and spinners direct in the UK, to save shipping and customs.
Let me know what you get, and we will need to see pictures of the build of course!

Thanks for all the advice & suggestions. Jonathan is the techy one so will deal with any pics, I just bash the balsa! Will let you know which direction we go in as and when the plunge is taken. One other thing, Jonathan is looking to put an RCV 90 SP up front, any views on that?

Hi Keith, I like the look of the RCV engines and I love the concept of the SP engine, the fact that the prop turns at half crank speed so you can have a more scale prop and the torque will be massive. There are it seems issues around cooling which is hardly surprising, and I think you will definitely have to look at ducting cooling air over the engine fins. Getting air into the cowling will never be enough, you will have to force it across the fins with baffles I feel. The FW190 has a nice area to bring air around the spinner, but you will still have to encourage it across the engine and back out again. I have heard mixed comments on the power output, but most say it is not as powerful as other 90's. I think I would look at whether I want to fly at scale speeds or blast around the sky. I would dearly like to try one these as I think we should support such innovative technology, and whats more its British!

I've just taken a look at the rc universe featured 190 and it looks a bit sport-scale rather than scale. I decided agaist the Skyshark one for the same reason. Can you order the BT plans, mouldings and wood pack direct from BT or a UK supplier or will I have to buy through Bob Holman in the states? Thanks for your previous advice Danny!

Hi Jonathan,
no problem, It appears you can order the full pack, drawing, laser parts, and mouldings from Unitracts, however, I was unable to raise them on the phone to discuss this. Being impatient I contacted Bob Holman and ordered through him.
I don't think Brian Taylor deals with anybody other than Bob Holman, even the Unitracts deal seems to be through Bob in the States. Bob did say that Brian was possibly winding down his production so he is unsure how long mouldings will be available.
Unless anybody else knows differently??

Down here in NZ we still get our BT plans from BT. I believe he is only on snail mail, but I'm not sure. We still get mouldings and spinners from him. As for the Taylor 190, he has an A-4 and an A-5 to A-8, I think, with the 6" lengthened nose of those versions, mark depends on what upper cowling etc you decide to build on it. The drawings are accurate enough for W/C models, it is designed for a two stroke .60, and needs no ballast if you follow Brians instructions. If you want to fit a four stroke .90 then you might have to enlarge it a bit (70"?) but then you will need to build your own U/C and spinner etc. No matter what size you build, they all seem to fly well, with the usual admonition about keeping them light.
Evan.

• 3 weeks later...
I think you have picked a great model , which with its' wide undercarriage will be a sturdy model.With regard to some of your supply questions ( I too am currently one !)
order the laser cut pack direct from B Holman in the states - look him up on the web , check californian time on the web , and ring him .This will save you a fortune - do not get from Unitracts - their prices are ridiculous.Get your plans , cowl , spinner and canopy direct from Brian . His Somerset address is advertised in the back of most mainstream mags .Unless you want all the agro and heavy cost of 100% scale , then I would suggest fitting just standard mech or air retracts as these are a small fraction of the cost (£170 +) of the Unitract scale retracts for this 190 .You can build the entire model for less than that !
Best of luck and pick another B Taylor plan for your next one - you won't go wrong.
Best Regards ,
Andy T.