Improvements to the 40" Depron 'Endurance'

Simon Chaddock

A couple of days ago I managed to fly my 40" Depron 'Endurance' for 2 hours and 5 minutes. (see Field Tales)

I felt it had a bit more to give but repeated 2+ hour flights to find out would be tedious and extremely boring to do so I created my 'ballast' battery. The same weight and size as the 5000mAh one but only 1/5 the capacity.

Flew this afternoon, took it right down to the LVC and it managed an amazing 38 minutes!

This would suggest, all things being equal, the 5000mAh one should be good for 38x5 = 190 minutes or just over three hours.

And that's without the possible aerodynamic improvements I have in mind.

So what are they?

First the prop. The chances are small that the basic 7x6 'slow fly' prop I am currenttly using is the most efficient there is, particularly at the very low power levels being used (<15W!)

Second the airframe. The fuselage is already light and just battery 'size' and with its pod and boom layout it has about the minimum practical cross section and surface area. Little scope for improvement

The wing is also very light so any further weight saving is likely to be marginal.

The wing section is a standard Clark Y. Whilst on paper other sections are more efficient there is evidence that at very low Reynolds numbers the aerodynamic streamlining and thickness to chord ratio are the predominant factors rather than its detail profile to achieve the maximum lift to drag ratio.

Next is the wing tip shape. The Endurance has simple square cut tips with a small fairing. The current trend is for significantly raked and up swept tips which, in theory at least, improves efficiency by reducing the size of tip vortex.

It will be relatively easy to add and test this sort of tip extension.

Heaven forbid I should get close to 48 minutes on 1000mAh as this would represent an endurance of 4 hours!

Advert

The ballast battery.

Ballast Battery

During the endurance test flights the 1000mAh battery will be always taken to LVC. This will likely shorten its life quite quickly (just as well its cheap!) so it is only held in place in the pack by double sided tape.

The current prop, a very slightly trimed 8x3.8, has been replaced by an 8x4.3 again with 1mm taken of the very tip to clear the boom. The slightly coaser pitch should improve the minimum power cruise but I fear any benefit may be so small that it will be difficult to measure against all the other variables that could effect the duration of a 38 minute flight.

The new raked wing tip alongside the original simple tip fairing.

Old & Raked Wing Tip

I am not sure about this.

The tip adds 4" to the span, looks nice and in 2mm Depron only weighs 3g but that is still 7 times that of the original fairing!

Its all going to come down to drag reduction versus weight.

I will resist adding these tips until I can confirm any benefit of the new prop - only change one thing at a time!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 19/11/2012 13:21:26

Pretty calm this afternoon so another go with the 'ballast battery' in the Endurance but with the coarser pitch prop.

Launch 15:11 Land 15:54

43 minutes

Thats equivalent to 3hrs 35 minutes with the full 5000mAh battery.

At 43 minutes the average discharge is 1.4A. If we say the average voltage is 8.2V then it is flying on 11.4W. It must be nearer 11W when the radio and servo loads are taken into account.

If the raked tips are as effective in improving performance my 4 hour target could really be in reach! smile

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 21/11/2012 17:07:17

Ideal conditions this morning, calm and cold, very cold!

New Raked Tips

With the new raked wing tips launched at 8:52, landed at 9:53.

This means the Endurance now has the capability to fly of not 4 but 5 hours!

At such a low current the LVC point is very 'woolly'. I suspect it started to have an effect on the motor after about 45 minutes. You could hear the motor speed fluctuating slightly.

At 55 minutes the motor had slowed a bit but even so the planes descent was very slow so I just let it carry on.

At 60 minutes advancing the throttle made no difference to the power at all so it really was time to land before the radio & servos started to be effected.

The Endurance flies very, very slowly so I suspect any 'cross country' could only be down wind!

The Endurance always seemed to fly with a slight off set on the ailerons which I had put down to some 'built in' aerodynamic defect although the wings looked true to me.

When I held the wing up to the light I noted that the inner ribs were not symmetrically placed about the fuselage centerline. It looked almost as if the one piece wing was fixed off centre. Surely not!

Oh yes it is, by 5mm. Oooops! surprise how embarrassing blush a beginners mistake angry no wonder it flies with the ailerons off set. wink 2

I really should put it right but it will be quite a bit of work as the motor would have to be repositioned as well but it does seem to manage ok as it is!

Having though about it for a few days rather than remount the wing in its correct position along with moving the motor by far the simplest was to shorten the 'long' wing!

This only required the complete tip section cutting off (taking care not to cut the aileron servo wire!) removing a bit from the centre section and glueing the tip back on.

Wing cut.off

As the tips were only glued and taped on in the first place no strength will be lost doing this and I think I can afford the slight loss of wing area!

Not having a permanent off set on the ailerons should decrease the drag a bit. wink 2

A heading hold gyro?

But would the power saved in reduced servo movement compensate for its own power consumption and weight?

I have flown the Endurance twice more since correcting the wing and in terms of how it flies there is not one jot of difference!

It does need a bit less aileron off set but a small amount is still required so the wing probably does have a slight 'built in' twist.

Both these flight were in more normal conditions with perhaps a gentle 5mph breeze. No real problem itself other than the up wind legs took some time but low down (<100ft) the turbulence certainly was!

As it flies at not much more than 5mph and close to the stall virtually every bit of turbulence caused a wing to drop, with an alarmingly slow recovery!

Once in the higher smooth air it resumed its docile self - elevator not used, ailerons set to low rate and even then only needing a 'nudge' now and again!

I am tempted to fit a gyro to see what happens. I suppose from an endurance point of view would a gyro ovewrall use less power?