SU-27 Flanker upgrade??

Craig Jones

I hope to buy an SU-27 Flanker off E-bay and I'm wondering if anyone has had one and upgraded it?? Its the EDF Art-Tech Russian Night version judging by the pictures and so far any reviews I've read state its ok but could do with more power so can anyone help with surgested units etc 

Thank you.

Advert

Hi Craig

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z220/AlanB7/P6200017.jpg

The only upgrade I have done in the above is change the TX and RX to Futaba as the supplied gear is cheap and nasty and full of gliches. The model itself I would say its not for beginners - not suggesting you are one I can get it to just about take off  in about 60 m on a tarmac runway. On a grass strip not a hope! If I could get Bowling green surface then there might be a chance.

It definately lacks power for me and as far as upgrading the units I would'nt go to the expense of upgrading the motors. The model itself is flimsy and fragile, especially the air intakes and missile launchers! I cant recall the amount of times I have snapped them just transporting the model.  In general I would say there are a lot better RTF foamies on the market for your money!  However that is only my personal opinion!

Al

Alright Alan B, The, Model your showing is not the one I was hoping to get and I'm not sure if the specs will be the same... The model I was after is dark blue with red and white markings like the russian display team.

The model I'm after is produced by Art-Tech and I think yours is by Sukhoi is it not...

Alright Craig

No fraid not -  Its Art-Tech mate. If you click on the image you will see the logo on the front of the Air Intake!  I think the one your after is the same model but just marked up as the Russian Display Team.  I could be wrong- perhaps Art- Tech may have brought out an uprated version!

Al

Cheap EDF's always come with fixed U/C......noticed this? The reason is simple....they are under-powered and need long, long run's on the ground before they have enough speed for the wing to fly. The Lipo pack supplied with this is only 10c......which will give you an idea of how under-powered it is, don't be tempted to fit anything with a higher discharge rate, or it will go into meltdown.

The first problem is always the same with them, the fan's. Our experience is that fitting hot motors is a waste of money, the fans simply don't produce any more thrust, the blades either cavitate or seem in some cases, to actually flatten at high RPM.....just becoming a spinning disc.

Therefore, it's a ground up job, pair of decent fans [it's suprising by the way, how many of these little foamie grab 'n' fly's use odd size fans], wemotech, GWS, etc, then a pair of 3,500 - 4,000kv motors, i wouldn't be tempted to go for any more than 3s on this. Chances are, it's going to be motors, fans and ESC's all in the bin and replaced.......not too cheap on a twin.

DON'T expect it to instantly turn into a missile, the air-intakes are almost certainly designed for the fitted set up, and chances are they won't supply enough air for the improved set up, and I wouldn't be suprised if additional cheater holes were needed. Next problem is additional power requires additional weight...the enemy of EDF, so don't be tempted to whack in a big battery for extended flight times.

Next, trim, this is so essential on marginal powered EDF, it must be trimmed for level flight, to slight node-down attitude, with C of G smack on......or it will be slow.

As you may be gathering by now, this model is in the "is it worth it" bracket, nobody to my knowledge has had much success making it go much better....the buy it in a box Mirage 2000, and Top Gun Hawk are identical in this respect......major surgery [and expense] required.....on the other hand, you could accept it for what it is and simply buy a know fast jet....sorry!