Steve B - Tucano

Steven for the mass build a couple of years ago we all followed a thread called "The Wonky Webbit" by Geoff Smith.

Geoff asked me to do the maiden flight of said model and it flew straight as a die, no trim needed at all and it was a pleasure to fly. No one was more surprised then Geoff. So build a wonky one and you'll be in good company. But I'm sure you won't...

Hi Ian, it was just very straight forward, it definitely helped to fully mark out the areas to be taken off and then it's simply a case of planing almost down to the lines and finishing with sandpaper. I was half expecting to have to use one wing as an experiment and build another when I wound up with the inevitable waves. But I'm really pleased with the result and I'm actually looking forward to doing the other one. Pic below, still got to round off the leading edge.

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CS, length wise they feel strong, there is some flex across the width in the main body of the wing, but plenty have been built and flown already and you've got to trust the designer. It's certainly proving quicker and easier to construct than a built up wing.

Just had a nice break, today's forecast was overcast and windy, in fact it's clear with just a light breeze, so I nipped down to the field for a quick few flights, all the more satisfying for being unexpected, despite having to wade out to the strip and the personal puddle that forms if you stand still for too long!

I'm a bit nervous of the wing shaping but you've given me a little confidence that it is, at least, possible. Yours look very good.

I'm assuming your wings are not from the CNC pack because I can't see the aileron cut out. Whilst checking my CNC pack I separated the aileron for one wing and now realise I'll have to tack it back in place for the shaping process.

I won't start on my wings until I have the fuselage done because I wnat to measure how big the cantre section needs to be as I;m going for a detachable wing.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, you're right, this set is scratch built, I'd already started the wings before I ordered the CNC pack, as I honestly didn't expect to have CNC parts for the wing (as they are essentially just balsa planks). As I've got the CNC parts I may build those wings as well and see which come out best. I would think that reinforcing the aileron joint to the wing section could be a good idea anyway, as I can imagine it would become detached in the shaping process if you we're to rely solely on the two tags.

Good luck with the detachable wing, and thanks for the kind words, I must stick with the low res camera, it seems to be hiding the imperfections nicely!