Acro Wot - Filling the fuel tank with cowl in place

Hi, Just completing my Acro Wot and being not use to a cowled aircraft would like to know how to fill the fuel tank with the coel in place. Normally I just pump fuel via the feed tube or the filler tube but these are hidden within the cowl.

Also I usually remove the tube from the muffler to check when the tank is full ie fuel comes out of the tube. Again this is hidden within the cowl.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Regards John

Advert

Hi John

On my Acrowot I have the filler line coming to the top of the cowl where I have fitted a fuel dot. If you are not aware of these they consist of an aluminium ring that screws to the cowl and then the fuel tube fits through that to stick out of the top. A matching aluminium bung is fitted into the end of the line once you have finished filling, and the line and bung pushed bck into the ring so all you see is an aluminium cap. Your LMS should have these.

Like you I take the line off the muffler, but I have an extension so I only needed to trim the cowl a little in order to be able to take the line off and on as required.

There is a gadget you can get that fits through the cowl and has a combined valve and socket. On the inside there are two nipples to fit fuel line on. One connects to the carb and the other to the tank. You fit a provided nipple onto the end of the fuel line from your pump and this plugs into the outside of the gadget. In doing so it shuts off the connection to the carb and connects itself to the tank side. So then you can pump fuel in (or out) Dubro sell them but there may be other brands too, I think my LMS has three or four different types and sizes. They are quite unobtrusive so good for scale models, at least unless you are going totally scale. I have one on a Fokker DVII and my son has one on a Sundowner

John