New Shed

Olly P

Advert

Got a photo of the interior as is after rigging one light to a plug until I get the mains power out...
Will add tomorrow. Luther, Dwangs is the scottish term, noggins the english. The ones on the roof are to support panel joints, and will be in before I felt the roof...

Hi Olly, I've been watching your thread with interest and some envy from the start. Ive been closely associated with builders for years and this is the first time I've heard the term "Dwangs" too. Interestingly in all the text books horizontals are always shown perfectly level around the whole space. Yet in practice I've only ever seen them staggered as you have done, obviously to allow the through nailing.

Hi Mogs - as I say this is the scottish colloquiel term for them - I picked it up from my dad when helping build there place, in Scotland! And exactly on the nailing through - I'm going to have to do something different on the roof dwangs as they need to be in line so will be 'surface' mounted....

Hi Olly,

To clear up what said above .... Good 5/8" thick plywood with rafters on 24" centers would be strong enough without purlins. Here we are concerned with high wind loads where I would think you don't have that problem to the degree we do. Hurricanes are bad guys! In this part of the State so far since we have been here we have just spent many days without power due trees falling on power lines. And, of course, lots of rain. The code required me use 6"x6" post in 5' post holes, 12" in dia. Filled with concrete. For small building which was 4'x8'! Permanent structures are designed for 120 mph winds. There are excepts to this but I will not bore you with all that. Anyway, press on! Your doing great!

Leo

Hi Leo,

Sorry for the delay, things have been a little busy.

I haven't used purlins as there is no need for them with the predicted loads on the shed. the rafters are on 2' centres (or less in most cases) with 18mm thick OSB panels making up the roof, The seams are supported by Dwangs or Noggins laid accross and attached at both ends.

The Dwangs/Noggins are now all in, and the majority of the seams have been sealed with exterior frame sealant, this should minimise water entry until I get the felt on.

SWMBO want me to board the small step on the right hand wall, and I have agreed, I then need to put edging strip on all the corners. Once that Is done I will be putting the felt on, and batons on top of it....

Oh, and I got one of the remaining verticals in on the back wall too.

All of the felf is on! the last section is a slightly different colour, as from a different supplier. The rear left corner and very centre of the felt are not as well secured as I would like, but limited access prevents me doing any more. The batons on the top should help with that though,

Will get a very small amount done tonight I think, and same tomorrow night, none Sat (Elvington!) and a lot on Sunday!

That's a workshop and a half, Olly. Or in my case, 3 workshops. I expect you'll be joining the Large Model Association when you've finished. I mentioned lighting in an earlier post but I'm glad to see, from another thread, that you currently work for a lighting company so you'll be well up on that side of things. Nearly there, now. Well done.

Hi Martyn - No, need to do some internal finishing first, then security, then some more internals, then windows (maybe). The electrics are looking like week after next.

Ian - I am reasonably up on lighting - I'm aiming for 600 lux at workbench, min 200 everywhere else.

I do indeed currently work for a lighting firm, but will be taking up a different employment offer in september.

I will be chatting to the LMA guys this weekend at Elvington, and may end up joining.....

David - If I'm in the shed then noone is home!

OK, new timetable.

Insulation and damp proofing (VPM) started yesterday with one section complete. To be complete by end of BH weekend. Alongside this completion of facia board(s) and top batons on roof, and installation of locks/bolts etc.

Walls will now be lined on inside with Plasterboard, being purchased first week sept, to be complete end of that week.

Electric going in End of Sept.

fitting out of bench etc....to follow

Reason for delay? Finance.

Thanks BEB.

As I say a few finishing touches on the outside, and a lot to do inside, but it will be worth it.

The outstanding jobs, in the sequence they will be done, weather dependant are:

If raining:

Continue insulating

Remaining internal batons to take DPM

fit DPM

Paint roof

Repaint floor (hide paint drips from roof)

Plasterboard, tape, fill, and paint

fit shelving

Fit cupboards

Fit bench.

If Dry

Roof batons on top of felt for extra weather proofing

Edging strips

A number of other jobs will be done as and when possible, and this will include the electrics going in (sub-contracted out), fitting locks (pref. dry, but before shelving goes in), and a general tidy up and sweep out before any more stuff goes in once modifications complete. I call the structure complete, as of the flet being on complete - the remaining bits are improvements.

Olly

yes, and yes. Guttering will be going on at some stage - plan is to feed a water butt from it, allowing us to use rainfall on the garden once the 'soft' gardening is done next year.

The fall on the garden is fairly marked - actually slightly steeper than the roof! this carriies on to the patio which is flat (ish) with a step down to it from the grassed area.

OK, add to the 'dry' jobs list guttering.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No plasterboard yet, financial limits mean that will be next month or month after now.

Managed to get the locks fitted yesterday (had to adjust the doors to make them fit correctly), the remaining batons for the small storage shed have been cut and the walls drilled for the rawl plugs. They will be fitted to the walls at some stage, possible wednesday, the damp proof membrane fitted and then the chipboard walls fitted and treated with anti-rot stuff I have...

That'll make the small shed usable as a storage area, and give me a bit more space in the large shed, which is now about 50% insulated - I hope to finish the insulation at the end of the month, and do the DPM.

So, steady progress, but the new job comes with more holidays available so I will probably be sing some to get a fews big jumps of progress done.