electric conversion

Advert

As Graham sez a picture or a description of the aircraft helps determine the sort of flight characteristics the model is likely to have. This can have a bearing on the type of motor/prop you might need......

Going purely off the weight then the usual rule of thumb is 100watts/lb so 150watts or so would probably fly it very nicely......this is only a rule of thumb.....if its vintage 70-80watts/lb will be plenty....is its an aerobatic or 3D type then you might look towards 150/200 watts/lb

I think the model was a free plan in the Radio Modeler around 1990 but I don't remember what format it took. However the engine range given for that era would have equated to about 110W - 150W.

If the model is already built the best bet would be to see how much weight is needed in the nose to achieve the cg & look for a motor of about that weight. The next consideration would be the prop size. The original would probably have had a 7" or 8" prop which with the battery voltage would determine the required motor's KV.

Shaun

All the advice above is good. In case you need more of a steer, I'd suggest a motor of around 1000 - 1300kV, a 1300 3s lipo, and a 7x4 or 8x4 prop, which will put you in the 150W ballpark. If you haven't got a wattmeter, it's well worth investing in one for tuning in the power you need, without stressing the power train. The above setup will draw around 15A so an 18-20A ESC should be OK.

As has been said above, choose a bigger battery if you have the room and need the weight.