My first twin

Hi Folks,
After much head scratching and soul searching I'm ready to build my first twin. I've gone for the Double Max by G Dodwell plan number RM30. I think it was in the Radio Modeller 7/68. Has any one got a copy I can borrow or send me a copy of the article? Has any one built or flown this model. Has any one got any advice? The plan is for 3channel, no rudder. Is this a problem? It would be fairly easy to add a rudder though.

Neil

Advert

i would nt consider a twin without a rudder or rudders.get an engine out and you could be in big trouble . the lack of rudders leaves you nothing to counter asymetric thrust problems with.
if you want a twin i would take a look at the seagull dual ace. ive had one for about a year now and am very pleased with it. i fly mine on a pair of sc40 s and all standard gear and its a great flyer. its a great looking model and the box artwork dos nt do it justice and at about 100 to 120 quid good value to.
ive uploaded a picture into the gallery it said waiting to be checked before its included

Dear Geoff,
Many thanks for the response. It confirms what I've heard about having to use rudder(s) to counter asymetric problems. I see no reason why I can't add a rudder onto the Double Max.
I have to say that I'm very much a build it from plan person and that I've never had an ARTF. Having said that the price of the Dual Ace is very competitive. What are the pros and cons of the kit, what extra hardware etc do you need, other than engines and radio of course. Does anyone import the kit?
The more I try and find out about flying multi-engined models the more frustrated I become as regards lack of hard facts and an air of black magic that surrounds this branch of the sport. I'm going to have to take the plunge and find out for myself.
Do you have any experience of using gyros on rudders to counter asymetric thrust problems?

Many thanks, Neil

perkins are the importer and any model shop should be able to get you a dual ace

http://www.seagullmodels.com/aerobatic.htm#34

on the link above it says digital servos no need standard servos are quite adaquate so less expense there.
as for building the dual ace goes together very easily. the wings are detatchable and are held on with nylon bolts which fit into the fuzz sides. there is an ali tube that passes through the fuzz and into each wing. the only alteration ive made to mine is to fit slightly larger wheels and a sprung nose leg . i fly off grass
as far as setting up goes before flight its exactly the same as a single but twice . set up mixture nose up etc. shut down the do the other side then re start the first engine . if one engine is slightly out compared to the other richen the faster one never lean the slower one. once you ve got that magic sound of 2 engines running together your ready to fly.