Futaba FF6

Paul Sutherland

Bathgate to Hamilton, 23 miles, 33 minutes down the M8 according to my friend Mr Google! I'd take up Gary's suggestion if you possibly can. yes

Even just 15 or 20 minutes face to face with an expert (with the heli there of course) will probably sort out more issues with the heli than months of postings on here - or any forum! Not that we want you to desert us of course!

Advert

Hi John, thanks for the photo. I will give Mike a call tomoz to see if he knows what component should go there and if he can repair it.

I'm good at soldering, but its well small and probably over fiddly for my fat fingers lol
Yeah I think a trip there wouldn't be wasted. There are a couple of clubs closer, West Calder is closest but the chairman emailed to say there weren't any heli members/trainers and recommended somewhere out fife way.
I've never flown rc heli's before, other than little battery models. Charge for 40 minutes get 5 minutes flying models.
I bought the heli on eBay from a guy in Arbroath, won it for £132 plus fuel to collect so kinda won a watch. It's in full working order, well until I replaced the battery in the rc lol
It's fitted with an MDS 38, seem pretty good, but hadn't been run for over 3 years prior to me collecting it.
I prefer boats, well should say ships, but there aren't pre built huge ones available here and if I buy pre built from china etc it will be in pieces when it arrives here lol so don't fancy that.
I've seen a few beauties on Mr Google, but haven't got the confidence to buy to have shipped here, also I don't have enough room nor water to use it.
Anyways I will let you know how I get on tomoz.
Once again, thanks for all your help and advice
Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

I have enclosed the link to our club web-site. This has the location of the site and some information about us. No, you do not have to be a member to visit. the best time to meet up with the heli guys is generally between 10 and 4 on Saturdays/Sundays.

If you want I could find out their contact number. Just PM me and I'll get as much info as I can for you.

Regards,

Gary

Hi all, thanks for all the help and advice you all offered.

I contacted Mike this morning and the ff6 rc is now oh it's way for repair.

That component is a Schottky diode, it sometimes gets blow, if a flight simulator lead becomes faulty, i.e a short in the plug that goes in to the transmitter.
It can also happen when modifying a transmitter and an error in the wiring takes place.
The transmitter can be repaired, it's just a matter of replacing the diode.
The P&P both ways costs almost double the cost of the repair, o it's well worth it in the long run.
This site has been more than helpful, and I think it's safe to say I will be on here more for help and guidance etc.
Cant wait to get the rc back and arrange a trip to Hamilton to meet with the pros.
Thanks all
Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Adrian, I can't think why they wouldn't work. Has he any different servos he can try to see if they work with his receiver?

One possibility is that he is using a PPM receiver and has the transmitter in PCM mode. Or vice versa. In that case no servo would work! The transmitter needs to be in the same mode (PCM or PPM) as the receiver.

Assuming it's not the servos, then is he using the correct crystals?

If his receiver is a dual-conversion rx then he must use a dual-conversion crystal in it. Also if they're not Futaba crystals in both tx and rx then it may not work. That's assuming it's a Futaba rx! If not, then the crystal in the rx must be suitable for the brand of rx used. And if it's a non-Futaba PCM rx then it's not going to work at all.