qso's

Former Member

Advert

Posted by David perry 1 on 24/01/2011 17:20:52:
Posted by taildragger on 24/01/2011 15:17:54: .

I think there are many, many amateurs who don't sit in shacks any more and call CQ like we used to, but there are thousands of us who do call occasionally and will chat when the mood takes us.

My problem is that all I hear on the bands (when I can hear anything above the QRM) is CQ contest.

I'm not at all interested in exchanging a 59 (having to repeat many times because it should be 22) signal report and serial number and calling that a QSO.

My HF sets are 2 X IC 706, 1 X IC 703, 1 X FT 857, 1 X FT 100 and 1 X FT 817, and all I do with them is turn one of them on every couple of weeks to listen to the S7-S9 background noise

I have three 2m/70cm handhelds, never been able access the local repeater, was promised help but it never arrived, but in any case I don't know if I want to join in discussions of peoples intimate health problems, which is all that I heard on it!

My main interest was PSK31 (google wo-psk) which is quite suitable for the UK with tiny gardens and close neighbours, but I haven't had the software installed for a while now.

I have been seriously considering ending my membership of the RSGB, and selling most of the equipment, and that is a long way off my past enthusiasm, would never have considered it before.

I first used CB in the UK in 1971, sitting above the dunes at Perranporth, and managed to speak to some Americans.

Things have changed!

Yes I had great fun with PSK31 and my FT 817 many years ago. I had pondered the idea of SSTV now that computers are so much cheaper. SSTV must be a breeze these days, and those Italian stations do love sending pictures of their wives!

On a serious note, thats a lot of rigs Steve! If you ever fancy flogging a 706, I'm often tempted with one.

Other thing that strikes me is...give us all a call!!

Diddlydahdidah.

David

• 2 months later...