JP starter brushes

Hi Guys,

After 4 years service my JP series 2 engine starter [purple end plates] has given up the ghost. Whilst my local store stocks the replacement rubber cones, no sign or knowledge of spare brushes for the motor.

Has anyone any idea where I can get replacement brushes as it seems criminal to throw it out for the want of a simple set of brushes.

Living in hope

Thanks,

Bill R.

Advert

I took the brushes out of one of mine and took them to one of the more comprehensive tool stores who kept replacement brushes for electric drills I found the nearest I could to the shape etc I wanted and then carefully reshaped them until they fitted and it is still working after several years. This was at a small cost and a bit of work.

• 1 year later...

I have one of the above starters which was purchased in the late nineties. It was only used for about a year and then put in storage. About 18 months ago I took up the hobby again and used the starter.

The starter has worked perfectly up until a few days ago. It seems to have lost a lot of torque and wont turn a new (tight) ASP40, and can be slowed by hand (using a glove) something which would have been impossible in the past.

I have taken the starter apart and it looks perfect. The brushes are now down to about four/five mm in length and this looks like the possible cause. Has anybody found a source of brushes. Awaiting response from JP..

As above seems cazy to throw it out.

Mine is still on the bench stripped down.

Contacted lots of sellers of the starter but none have spare brushes.

I can still get brushes for my B&D D500 [from 1972 and still going strong) electric drill, no problem. Pity they dont fit the JPS Starter. LoL!

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, and soon realised that spare brushes weren't available for this starter. I must have spent days searching the internet trying to find some/any brushes that I could reshape to fit, but recall that if any were about the right size, then the lead was on the wrong face. I eventually gave up as I was desperate to get flying again. I hated having to pay £22 ish for another starter but the alternative was to spend 5 or 6 quid on some brushes that needed reshaping and the lead refitting (if that is even possible). It's frustrating and wasteful not being able to repair these things, but that often seems to be the case nowadays.