Vulcan Bomber

LMA Dave

Posted by Flanker . on 15/01/2013 21:59:13:

Some where on you tube is a great documentary about the Vulcun raid to the Falklands. A 16, 000 mile run that has put the dear old Vulcan in the record books.

tis here:

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 08/05/2013 16:54:24

Advert

Posted by LMA David Parry on 15/01/2013 15:17:31:

Erfolg, The video was taken around 4 months ago, you are correct about the houses the whole lot is going to be flattened all the hangers where they built the Lancaster’s, Vulcan’s and all the others including the nimrod will be gone in the near future, the runway and the tower Avro offices there will be nothing left but memories it is really sad we are all on borrowed time there, so we just enjoy what we have why we still have it.

There are a couple more videos on the LMA YouTube channel if you want to watch any more of this beautiful plane. I am so glad you all enjoyed it.

Whats going to happen to xm603 will that stay at Woodford or off to a museum? spent many a rainy woodford airshow dodging the rain underneath it ! but despite that, seeing the vulcan 558 fly there and set off loads of car alarms, and being taken round the factory when British Aerospace were building ATP's and 146's (by an uncle that worked there), and working at the airshow as an air cadet, personally, for me, its not all happy memories of Woodford, I was 13 when I saw spitfire crash in a flaming fireball there in1992, right infront of where I was stood, its on youtube.

Edited By twinstar on 15/01/2013 23:09:22

Terrific video and wonderful to see the model overflying full size XM603 which you can see on the ground in many of the panning shots ... awsome!

I understand that XM603 is being moved within the airfield ready to take up residence as an outside exhibit at the AVRO Heritage Centre. The centre is to be redeveloped as part as part of the residential development of the airfield.

Brings back memories of previous model flying exploits at Woodord, allowed to fly from the main runway, arrangment with ATC that they would turn on runway lights 15 minutes before arrival of aircraft to allow us to land models and clear from the runway ... those were the days

Edited By avtur on 15/01/2013 23:52:40

Yes XM603 is to be re-housed over where the fire station is, that is to be flattened, a test move of XM603 was carried out and she stands in one of the holding bays at the moment not far from where she has been for the last 30 years or so.

The plan is to clean her up in one of the big hanger over the other side of the airfield where they destroyed all them brand new Nimrods but I think we are talking a year or two hear before that happens, all sorts of health & safety issues will have to be address first.

The good news is she will be staying at Woodford and hopefully she will be look after. I have a picture of her I took at the weekend I will upload it when I figure out how to put pictures on here.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 08/05/2013 16:56:54

Posted by twinstar on 15/01/2013 22:51:59:
Posted by LMA David Parry on 15/01/2013 15:17:31:

Erfolg, The video was taken around 4 months ago, you are correct about the houses the whole lot is going to be flattened all the hangers where they built the Lancaster’s, Vulcan’s and all the others including the nimrod will be gone in the near future, the runway and the tower Avro offices there will be nothing left but memories it is really sad we are all on borrowed time there, so we just enjoy what we have why we still have it.

There are a couple more videos on the LMA YouTube channel if you want to watch any more of this beautiful plane. I am so glad you all enjoyed it.

Whats going to happen to xm603 will that stay at Woodford or off to a museum? spent many a rainy woodford airshow dodging the rain underneath it ! but despite that, seeing the vulcan 558 fly there and set off loads of car alarms, and being taken round the factory when British Aerospace were building ATP's and 146's (by an uncle that worked there), and working at the airshow as an air cadet, personally, for me, its not all happy memories of Woodford, I was 13 when I saw spitfire crash in a flaming fireball there in1992, right infront of where I was stood, its on youtube.

Edited By twinstar on 15/01/2013 23:09:22

The Spitfire in question has been rebuilt and has crash again this time not so fatal, it had to land with its wheels up, don’t know why. I had heard of the incident and we went to the part of the airfield where it happened, there is a plaque where he was killed, very sad.

Edited By LMA David Parry on 16/01/2013 15:34:09

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 08/05/2013 18:16:58

• 2 weeks later...

Well done and cant wait to see her at the shows 2013 , away in sunny parts in Asia and home March and still selling plans for the Vulcan even here . Some amazing shots and looking forward to getting my own as the full size XH558 may not be flying in 2014 . Great model and love the slow take off and effortless slow landings .

Graham .

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 08/05/2013 16:53:41

Hi Graham, you are only the second person I have seen with a model Vulcan that flies, the other was a 10ft one that was revamped by Rob Greenwood, who flies at Roy Levers old site, in fact he save it from Roy’s shop just before they closed the doors on it. That model now also belongs to Dave Johnson who had the plans blown up which has resulted in the one you see here. she is a beauty and when finished will hopefully look as good as she flies.

• 3 months later...