Vulcan Bomber

LMA Dave

Here is the first of 6 videos of Dave Johnson’s 20ft wingspan Vulcan Bomber XH558 she has been done in white primer ready for is nuclear colour scheme, please bear in mind this was the test flights and not all the detail has been done on the model yet and probably won’t be until the end of the show season this year.

Advert

Hi all, This will be at the major show which is Cosford and Elvington, as you can imagine it needs a lot of airspace to fly in, and a runway to match, we are hoping to take it to Rougham as the grass runway there is one of the best so it should get off the strip.

It has got all its paperwork and is certified to fly in front of the public. A show stopper indeed, we can’t wait for the show season to start. Seeing it on video just doesn’t do it justice trust me I was the one video it, it is massive.

A most impressive video, of a most impressive model, so well flown.

It is fitting that the first flight should be from Woodford.

I do remember as a boy seeing Vulcans, flying out of Woodford, with what i suppose was a mock up of Blue Steel, attached underneath. A system never to go into service.

How long back was the video made?

I understand (from my mother & farther-in-law) that an application has now been made to develop at least part of the site for housing, which many of the residents of Poynton are trying to resist. My own opinion is it will either be housing or factory units, take your pick, which is preferable. I also understand there is an intention to build a new "A" road across the site.

All of which I think is a great pity, much better to have continued building nd refurbishing aircraft.

Any way, most impressive!

Erfolg, The video was taken around 4 months ago, you are correct about the houses the whole lot is going to be flattened all the hangers where they built the Lancaster’s, Vulcan’s and all the others including the nimrod will be gone in the near future, the runway and the tower Avro offices there will be nothing left but memories it is really sad we are all on borrowed time there, so we just enjoy what we have why we still have it.

There are a couple more videos on the LMA YouTube channel if you want to watch any more of this beautiful plane. I am so glad you all enjoyed it.

I see that the EE P1 Lightening is to be seen, the Fairy Rotodyne and a Bristol Beverly, in the video above. I can almost feel the same excitement at watching the clip of Farnborough that annually school boys would feel, when UK aviation was exciting. Every year a new batch of fantastic aircraft, or that is what we thought.

You do wonder why the Bristol Beverly did not have the same commercial success as the Lockheed Hercules.

Woodford must be one of the few venue suitable for such models in the Northwest. I guess that Stretton Aifield is just to near the motorway. I have seen two locations in Cumbria that seem ideal Kirkbride Airfield and Siloth Airfield.

I have always thought that the white version was far more flattering than the camouflage finish.

Edited By Erfolg on 15/01/2013 17:26:09

Fingers crossed it should be at the Manchester event, it has been having some more work done to it, lights, undercarriage doors fitted and some marking put on it just to make it look the part for this season the full detailing will be done in the winter months of 2013.

I would love to upload a picture of it but is a pain to do so on this forum. However you can see it on our FaceBook page along with some other stunning models from the Barkton Heath Christmas bash http://www.facebook.com/LargeModelAssociation>>

Posted by Flanker . on 15/01/2013 21:59:13:

Wow ! In its true sense AWESOME. Very well flown too. A real treat. Thanks. Some where on you tube is a great documentary about the Vulcun raid to the Falklands. A 16, 000 mile run that has put the dear old Vulcan in the record books.

Thanks for the vids, F

the book vulcan 607 is really excellent.