servo choice

shaun button

Hi again everyone,i have just recieved my arising star seagull,and was wondering which servos would be best to use,(without spending a lot) says the wife!!!!!!.

would micro servos be ok, or does which make of servo i use depend on which reciever im using.i also have some servos left from my rc car days would these be suitable.also is the wiring colours from the servos  standard   or do they vary depending on make.

im going to for a 2.4 ghz reciever if thats any help to anyone.

thanks again for your help.

shaun.

Edited By shaun button on 16/01/2013 13:15:58

Advert

There are two set wire colours on servos Futaba colours (White Red Black) and JR (Orange Red Brown).

They are completely interchangeable.

The servo plugs are basically the same except that true Futaba plugs & sockets are made so they can only be put in the right way round but with a bit of trimming can be easily modified to become 'universal'.

Your radio will drive any normal servo.

As a fairly big IC plane standard size servo are recommended, more to resist the vibration than the aerodynamic loads.

The towerpros are alright, but for not a lot more I'd get the HS-311 or the Futaba 3003. Better accuracy, centering and more consistent build qualtiy. The SG5010 I've got already don't centre properly and their centre is different on a fully charged battery vs a partially used only after a season.

As a beginner, you don't want to be faffing around with servos that may or may not work in my opinon.

Si.

When starting I recommend new servos you don't want hassle with old servos or cheap servos that don't centre or work properly.. When at the field you want to fly its horrible when yr sent away un able to fly cause u have faulty equipment... Futaba 3003 are very good cheapish servos I have had no problems on my trainer plane with these.. Hitch also do equivalent servos at roughly the same price..