Cyano or Hot glue for foam

kevin lane

Hi,Kevin here, as a newby I would appreciate your advice on the use of Cyano or hot glue for repairs on foam. I have an Easystar that has come to grief on a couple of occasions. Whilst cyano would seem the obvious choice(foam safe) I'm concerned that it seems a very brittle medium and less able than hot glue to flex and absorb impact, one could also argue that the foam will take the impact when using cyano. Has anyone advice or experiences to relate before I start my next repair?

Advert

Kevin

It does depend on the nature of the repair as ken says.

A large area repair like a snapped fuselage a fairly generous coating (both sides) with PVA wood glue will fill all the gaps and spaces in the foam and will give a strong joint but it needs to be clamped together and left to dry.

Cyano is good where you need a strong joint but the two surfaces must be a really good fit to get the best strength.

UHU POR is foam safe..Always remains stightly 'rubbery' so has the best shock resistance but not the highest strength.

Hot glue works well but is difficult to use successfully on a large area repair.