why is my heli jumping up and down?

Dave 8

Hello All,

I recently bought a used Blade 400 heli for messing around with without the worry of damaging it too much as it is a 'spare' heli.

Unfortunately, when hovering it around 18in (not had it any higher yet) the power drops momentarily then comes back on again. The power loss is not long enough to bring it down, it really is for a fraction of a second and then back on again. Any ideas anyone?

Dave

Advert

Not enough info really......indoors, outdoors in the cold.....after equalising the temperature from store/car/house to use.......... Have you checked motor and ESC temp? Does the tail hold throughout?

Unless you can quickly see an adjustment issue like too much pitch, swap out the ESC as a first thing to do. Reading a few posts on search elsewhere seems to indicate that the ESC fitted to the Blade 400 is marginal at best.

I had very similar with a TRex clone 500.......tried all setup options to no effect, changed the expensive 80A Skorpion ESC for a cheap 60A Hobby Wing ESC........... no issue....gone never to return

Thanks for the replies.

Had not considered pitch curves overloading motor, will check this. Heli not running long enough to raise temperature of any particular bit of kit. Do not like to keep it in the air with a fault. I was thinking perhaps esc or pitch servo so will do as Dave suggested and change the esc first. Thanks.

Dave

I had an issue with my T-Rex 500 a while back, where the tail would occasionally make a quick sideways kick and then return (in HH mode). After changing gyro and tail servo I realised it was because the main motor was cutting momentarily, resulting in the tail moving due to the sudden torque change. Changing my ESC cured it.

The point of this tale is that, if the main motor is stuttering, or changing speed quickly, I would expect to also see the tail moving at the same time. Does yours do this?

When I've had poor height control it's usually turned out to be a loose linkage somewhere between servo and head. On mine, for instance, the screws for the flybar seesaw holder (hidden behind the SF mixing arm) were loose and were causing significant up/down inaccuracy.

No Allan, the tail does not move, but that tip regarding the tail sideways kick is something worth remembering for the future. I wonder how many people have gone down the same route as you replacing expensive parts only to find the cure elsewhere. That is the beauty of a forum like this where people with far more experience and knowledge are willing to part with information to stop us lesser mortals making the same mistakes. I will check screws and linkages etc but general opinion seems to be the esc as the place to start.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...