MicroWarbirds P51 and FW190 - Ton's build blog and chat

Ton van Munsteren

Nice clean build Roy. Much better job than my depron build. I knew adding some more detail would be the death of her. Added some right thrust and took out all of the right trim. Launched at WOT only to see her roll and dive to the left. The impact destroyed the front back to the wing and snapped off the tail. A bit more than a dab of glue and piece of tape would fix so I'll rebuild the fuse. Here's the pre-crash photo. The post crash is just too ugly and might upset any small children viewing.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Another P51 on the go, and a great simple build !
Delayed as waiting for motor to arrive and repairs to Champ.

Dualsky Xmotor XM2212ma-25.

Motor weighs 10.5g, and ESC 5.7g

Sourced some decals for it. Hobbyco in the USA. Slightly undersize possibly, but I think will look fine.

Thanks for info on heat shrink control horn connections. Will try it on this.

img_0136.jpg

img_0338.jpg

img_0339.jpg

Err..... the motor will be fitted facing forward not upwards !,
Is any offset required ?

It's too short for the firewall, so will move the firewall forward, rather than shorten the nose.

Champ mid air !

No damage from the actual collision, until one of them hit a tree on the way down !.midair.jpg

Edited By john Minion on 25/03/2014 21:13:28

John,

Thanks for posting the pics and great to know your building the Mustang.

Sorry to hear about the Champ , but great pic, is it repaired and flying again already.

Nice sheet of decals should look great on the Mustang.

Offset not really needed flying without, but you can offset a little sidetrust for 0.5-1 degree to the right.

Cheers

Ton

Champs are Hobbyzone foam jobs. easy and cheap to repair, mainly with just sticky tape, and yes both are still flying !
Neither was seriously hurt in the midair, as both my boys cut the motors, they just spiralled gently down, locked together !.
Weather improving in the UK, finally, so also finished a couple of control line planes, cox 0.049 engines, running my mix of 20% nitro and castor oil. Again cheap and fun to fly. Here is my youngest, 9, first attempt !.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfPcELoVAok
(no damage, and I told him technically it was a loop ....)
img_0291.jpg
I'll post some more pics of the Mustang once finished.

Hi all,

Few questions: About the LE spruce dowel, there's none available to me at the moment, but i do have left over carbon tube of the right diameter. Would there be any negatives to using that in place of the spruce? Then lastly the covering material. I have, again, left over plain silver solarfilm. Would that be suitable? having never used oracover I'm not sure how it compares. I'm wondering if normal solarfilm may be to heavy?

thanks in advance. (I'll post some pics when the pieces start to look something like a P51 smile p)

As promised ....

Managed to find some wood dowel, its not spruce, but its light and straight so i didn't need to resort to carbon in the end. Wing still needs some sanding and general "finishing up". But It's awesome how fast it goes together and the method for building the ailerons is so easy. Not sure if its a "standard" way. But balsa ailerons that are part of the wing section have always intimidated me. The few i have build were no where near as easy. Should be finished over the next few evenings, then I'll just be waiting on the motor.

,cheers

That Looks great !!. When bringing the rear fuselage (tail) together, place it over the plan, and make sure it's on the centreline of the plan when gluing.
I also kept the main wing in, with the elevator in place to make sure the main wing and elevator were parallel when looking from the front.

Thanks John, the fuse went together straight. Wings and tail surfaces pretty much ready for covering. The aileron pushrod tube was a bit of a mission. Not sure why I didn't cut the holes in the ribs ect. before building the wing (just kinda missed it I guess), but its done and good, no binding with the wire in. In terms of motor: Park 250, 16g, 55w should be good right? Just worth running it past here,....

,cheers

Looking great.
Motor sounds spot on, 2,200 KV ?

I will be using (as been sat in a drawer for some )
Xmotor XM2212MA-25.
KV: 2160RPM

Weight: 10.5g

Max. Power(15s): 42W

As you can see from the pics, it's too short, so have to cut the nose down, or move the motor mounting forward. Going to wait and see, as got batteries RX and prop on order, I dry fit them, see where to COG is, then make decision.

Edited By john Minion on 02/04/2014 22:34:55

So the fuse is done and I'm pretty happy with it. The lil' park 250 (and sorry for not replying John, but yes, 2200KV) is in there. Scheme is from a pic of an old micro p51 I saw somewhere in a google search, was originally gonna do just silver, but had some yellow, so i went for it.

Having some issues with the wing though, the solarfim isn't adhering so well. It seems to shrink rather than stick a lot of the time, especially when trying to "seal" it off around edges. First i thought it was balsa dust but i cleaned it well with tack cloth and was still happening. Tried different heat setting. Ended up wasting 2 wing panel sized pieces through all this. Got the bottom of one wing to work only to "test shrink" one panel and see the film pull off the root rib. Any idea's? It cant be the film because the fuse and tail surfaces turned out fine?

,cheers

So, mines done and flies

Ended up buying oracover for the wing (no local shops had solarfilm in stock), and i have to say, it works great.  Easier than solarfim in my opinion.

Also the "carbon stick elevator joiner" came loose on installing, so after reading Roy Hill's comment I went back and glassed the joint. Doesn't add too much weight, but its now probably the strongest part of the plane....

The maiden went smoothly, although mine has a little torque pull at full power, so ill try a few different props, but its nothing too scary. Unfortunately the gopro card was full so it only recorded the first half of the maiden. but better than nothing.....

,cheers

Edited By Fritz on 17/04/2014 15:02:05

Great news on the maiden.

Well, after rebuilding the front of the fuse twice (don't ask) I finally crashed it good and proper so the whole thing was stripped out and binned. I'm not really sure what was wrong with my re-built airframe. The 1st crash was perhaps due to to rearward c of g. On the plan but maybe the KFm-4 wing demands a more forward balance point. So I moved the lipo pack forward, dialled in 80% expo on low rates and tried again. Still very touchy and unstable but did manage to keep her in the air for nearly 3 mins before putting her in terminally!

I think the model would be much better with some dihedral which I was too lazy to incorporate in my depron build. I've already enlarged the plans to 200% so I might have a go at a larger version for a 2200 3S packs and 250-300 watt 70-80 gram motor for power.

Andy

Edited By Andy Horsman on 17/04/2014 18:33:35