FrSky module functions correctly.....

Colin Naylar

I have just recieved from HK a Frsky telemetry module for my HItec Eclipse7. It came with a V8FR-II NON telemetry Rx. The module was supplied with both switches OFF and in that state will bind with the Rx by holding theF/S button ON while powering up the Rx. Now according to the manual the Module should be in non-telemetry mode (switch 2 on) to operate with this Rx. Furthermore the instructions state that with the module in telemetry mode binding is achieved with the supplied binding plug across the signal pins of channel 1 & 2 of the Rx.

If I do put switch 2 to ON then I can't bind by any method. Now I am perfectly happy with the arrangement that I have ie. module in telemetry mode and binding with the F/S switch and have successfully range tested and flown with this setup. Its just that its all contrary to the instructions - any ideas please, have I missed something?

Also when all is stable and working and Rx is bound, there are no leds lit on the Rx and apparently the red one should be on with the green one flickering with reception of signals.

Advert

This is how I read it: the bind procedure depends on whether you want to bind in telemetry mode or not.
In both cases before you try to bind the Rx you must start the Tx in binding mode, by pressing down the F/S button on the Tx before switching the Tx on. The red LED on the Tx module should then flash, indicating it's ready to bind. Are you doing that / is the LED flashing - you did not say so.
For non-Telemetry mode: set the switches to V8 mode 1-OFF, 2-ON. Only then do you power up the Rx, with the Rx F/S button pressed. Its red LED should then flash.
For Telemetry mode: set the switches to D mode 1-OFF, 2-OFF and connect CH-1 and Ch-2 pins with the jumper. Then power up the Rx (no need to press button). Its red LED should then flash.
You must then turn off both the Tx and Rx (and remove the jumper if you used it), and then turn them both on. Only then should you see a solid red LED on the Rx, with a flickering green one.

Thank you John, I believe I am doing everything as you suggest. The reciever is non telemetry so there is no doubt that the Tx switches should be 1-off and 2-on but I get no binding at all in that configuration. I shall go through it all again and get back to you. Its just a puzzle that it actually works without the correct indications.

This sounds to be the latest V series receiver which will work fine with a transmitter in 'telemetry' D mode, ie both switches off, but it just doesn't send a signal back. The instructions with mine did explain this.

To use it with the tx module in non-telemetry V mode you don't use the jumper when binding.

I've not tried mine in V mode as my reason for buying it was to avoid the need to switch between modes for different models.

You can download the manual here Manual_V8FR-II

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 24/01/2013 19:46:12

Welshboy, I am not brave enough to re-flash the Rx at this early stage!

John, I don't get a solid red led on the Rx at all. After it has been bound and I subsequently reconnect power then I get a single red flash and then a continuous low level green led and then all is well!

Bob, I think you may be right here. There may also be a problem over the definition of telemetry as apparently there is a feedback from Rx to Tx of signal strength which will sound a warning bleep if low.

That's exactly what the Rx manual says should happen.

But if you switch off both Rx and Tx and then switch both on (Tx FIRST), then the Rx green LED should come on continuously, showing that it is locked to the Tx. The Tx red LED should also be on continuously, and the green Tx LED should flicker.

Thanks John, I think I have been confused (easily done) by the settings for the switches and the fact that the green led in the Rx is very dim and not well aligned with the hole in the case. As I said before it is working fine and I really needed some assurance that I had not missed something - thanks again for your help.