Building 'Jemima' from the RCM&E plan

Former Member

First of all, Monty, I hope you are on the mend and your new knee isn't too painful. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

On another thread it has just been mentioned that a Jemima is being built in Scotland and it has occurred to me to wonder where the others are being built. I have two in Warwickshire but I'd love to know where the rest of you are...?

Jim

Advert

Hi Jim, I am from Ollerton in Nottinghashire! so that's another midlander.

Stewart looks like you are amking excellent progress with the wing, and your work area is neat and tidy. I always seem to get progreessivley messier during a session of building, wish I was tidier lol.

It all gets cleaned up between session of course, including getting out the vacuum cleaner to suck up all that balsa dust.

Hi Jim,

I'm from Oxfordshire, and my Jemima will soon* be gracing the skies above the ridgeway from the White Horse Model Club's field. Motor and speed controller arrived last night. Was trying to bench run them with a power meter just to get some numbers with the motor clamped in a vice but I could only get to about 3rd throttle giving 100 Watts before the thing started moving in the vice. Will have to screw the mount properly to a block of wood to try again. Once the numbers check out (they should do according to my maths, but always good to actually check) I can crack on with the cowling, fitting the motor then it's on to the wing.

I wonder if there's enough of us in close proximity to arrange a Jemima fly-in at some point later in the summer?

Eifion

*soon is a relative term.

Edited By Eifion Herbert on 22/03/2013 09:16:29

Hi Stewart, glad you are enjoying building Jemima and other models in the future. There is nothing like building abd flying our own model, coming across challenges and solving them, adding to your own skill sets etc. I wish you all the best with your models especially the flying. It would be nice to have a Jemima 'fly in' in the ahem....summer?! if we ever get one! lol.
I also have enjoyed building Jemina, it's my first vintage model!
I have put details of the control runs on my Jemima thread.

Glad to hear you have enjoyed the build - it certainly looks like all the Jemima builders are doing a great job and obviously I'm very pleased to see my design being popular. As it happens I am working on a development along the same theme. The basic construction will follow identical principles to Jemima - ie simple and rugged but the fuselage will be longer and leaner, the wingspan increased to 60" with simple dihedral rather than the polyhedral wing of Jemima and it will have ailerons. It will be instantly recognisable as Jemima's younger, slimmer sister and at the moment is called Jocasta. The intention is that the wing section and chord will remain the same so that if you want to keep your existing Jemima fuselage and just upgrade the wing then the two will be interchangeable. Most of the drawings have been done, just need to make space on the building board after I finish the current project (Messerschmitt M23b - see my thread in the own designs forum for details of how that is coming along). I'd also like to build a pair of floats that would suit either Jemima or Jocasta - I think they would look great flying off a calm lake at sunset.

Good luck with the rest of the build and the maiden and definitely do a blog of your Tomboy build!

Jim

Well let's not get carried away here WF, at the moment Jocasta is nothing more than a few drawings on my CAD programme! If I build it and it flies and IF Mr Ashby decides it is worth publishing it will be at least a year from now before it appears in print, I would have thought! Jemima is such a straight forward and economical model to build that you could easily build one in time for summer disgust and see if you like it enough to want to follow it with Jocasta.

Well that's very kind Eifion, I have to finish my current project after which I was hoping to get going on a Miles Messenger long term build but I might be able to squeeze Jocasta in between. I'm not going to hijack this thread with Jocasta though, so if I do get on with it I may make a note on here to let folk know it's on its way but no more than that.

While I'm thinking about it, I would appreciate it if people could let me know which parts of the Jemima plan they liked and - more importantly - which parts they didn't. My own feeling is that I could have done a better job at the rear of the wing seat - around F5 where a couple of builders suffered cracks and I get the impression a few people struggled with bending the fuselage sides to meet F1. I will try to address both these issues but if anyone thinks I could have made anything else easier or clearer I'd like to hear about it please (and I have a thick skin so please be honest). Also please let me know if anything in the build article that accompanied the plan could have been better explained. The object of the exercise is to improve with each design so failing to point out Jemima's shortcomings to me now will only be counter productive in the long term!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...