Mustang ditches

mally

Hi everone,

My names Mally, This is all new to me so i will try to be brief, Just purchased a Parkzone Mustang,

and can i get that bird into the air?absolutly no way.After four attempts it would appear that i own a plane

thats affraid of heights, if you have any tips i would be more than grateful.

Advert

Hi Timbo,

To bring you up to speed its powered by a 480 motor with gearbox,

Speed controler is a Power fet proportional esc

Battery is a 9-cell 10.8v 1000mah ni-mh

and the bitch weighs in at 820 grams.

Ithink my biggest problem is actualy trying to launch the damn thing,

Cheers                                    Mally

Hi Mally...you mean aeroplane not B***H dont you

Well if the model is weighing in at almost 2lb, you will need around 200 WATTS of power for decent performance. However this ready to fly creation is NOT going to be supplying that sort of power because on a 10V battery thats 20 Amps, and I dont think your 1A battery is going to be very happy with that, apart from anything else it means flight times of just 3 minutes ! A 480 brushed motor actually works nicely at around 6 Amps, although maximum is about 25A. Best however to stick to a maximum of around 12A for continuous running. However as its geared, and turning quite a large prop, it is probably turning it quite slow, and keeping the current consumption down, this means however it WILL need a good meaningful throw to get her safely away, best to get an experienced flyer to hand launch it for you. Good luck.

PS of course, what it really needs is a brushless motor and a nice light powerful LiPo battery

PPS I believe this thing has an ESC which allows a 3s LiPo to be used anyway...but you need to flip a switch on it, and of course you will need a dedicated LiPo charger.

It would give it a shot in the arm though

PPPS I found this while googling around, from another forum, but it does ring a bell to me !

"Planes are meant to be flown not crashed and this plane is not meant to be a trainer. If you can't fly other planes well without crashing then don't even think about a mustang yet. That goes for any brand. This plane should also not be someones first experience at hand launching as it's important to launch it correctly".

Hmm, not an ideal model for a first timer matey.

Been "on the scene" by chance with novices trying to fly PZ Mustangs and a couple of PZ FW190's at differing times................

I don't doubt that there are some that'll say they are great and fly well..maybe they do, but in my opinion they are at best marginally powered.

The problem is that as a result they need good technique to launch and fly, they are NOT beginners planes, yet are unlikely to be bought by someone who is experienced.

I was asked to fly one of the FW190's. Admittedly they had tried a few times and it wasn't looking it's best................I set it up and managed to coax it into the air, but was very very glad to land it, and didn't even attempt more than one circuit.

Try something like:-

http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=443&osCsid=d6678f1ac454e12b39a8037d6ad207d4

and come back to the Mustang later....................I KNOW this flies VERY well and is VERY strong!! 

Hi all,

After reading some of your replies regarding the Mustang,i did a little research myself and found her

to be quite heavy up front thus throwing her Cof G way out. So i decided to tackle the problem by moving

the battery compartment 95 mm. Iknow it may seem a lot to move but once she,s there she sits

perfect. I will keep you all posted, hope to get her up this weekend.

Cheers Mally

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. I too have park zone mustang, gws foamy I did not fit the motor that came with it - I was at the nationals last year & I saw a gws mustang with an outrunner in it with 1000ma lipo batt. it was in BRC hobbies tent. I enquired as to the performance of it to which I was told to fit this outfit & watch it go -& I did -  boy does it go - give BRC hobbies a ring or email them see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Mally how did it all go? I bought a PZ Mustang nearly a year ago and I have yet to fly it due to all I have heard about it not being a novice model.

I've read much and one thing that seems to come up time and time again is that it is underpowered which makes it a bit of a handful. Also, not seen this myself not having even tried to fly it but often it is stated to launch it at less than full power. Apparently the big prop makes it torque roll at full power to the left before there is a chance to get hands on the transmitter and before it has the airspeed for the ailerons to be effective.

I've pulled out the 480 in mine. I've a HZ cub which I converted to brushless and ailerons, it is a really good aileron trainer. I'm now planning to do this same conversion on the PZ Mustang as the motor can go straight into the stock Cub/Mustang gearbox (It is exactly the same motor, prop and gearbox on both models). The brushless motor is the one from the PZ Typhoon, and runs on a 3s Li-po. That should sort anypower problems.

In the mean time I've been flying my modified Cub and getting use to ailerons and spending some time with the FMS PZ Mustang, it is hard enough in the sim to fly it well! Also maidened a PZ Trojan the other day, that is a really nice model once you have some experience of ailerons. Do let me know how it is all going because it sounds like we are at about the same point in the hobby, enthusiastic but not that experienced yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys. Just joined and though I've been a Glow head for a number of years I was bought a PZ Spitfire by the missus for a birthday present and thought " Oh THANKS!" {sarcasticly] but charged it up & WOO HOO . Graet fun in no time but thought a bit more power & duration would be nice so bought a 3cell 2400mah LiPo & charger but it made no difference to the power or the duration. {12-20 mins my ass}

Its still only 6-7 mins TOPS. Read TIMBO on here talking about a switch needing flipped? Would appriciate a bit of input on THAT. I reset the reciever to the 70% cut off setting but no difference again. Any helpfull advice awaited with baited breath. ALAN

Switch needing flipping ? Lost me there Alan

As for a brushless setup in your bird...an outrunner will eliminate the need for a gearbox altogether, and is a more efficient way to go. If you post details of the model weight size etc and your budget on here ( or indeed start a new thread in electric flight section ) We will be able to suggest something

PPS I believe this thing has an ESC which allows a 3s LiPo to be used anyway...but you need to flip a switch on it, and of course you will need a dedicated LiPo charger

Your words not mine. Just wondered what switch it was. I selected the LiPo setting but it was for a 9.something volt and mine is a 11.1 volt so selected the 70% smart soft cut out[Last choice]

Ah well, with a few more posts than yourself, I do have problems remembering them all Alan

When you said you remembered me "talking about it here" I didnt realize you meant that it was actually in this thread and it was 7 weeks ago !!

The switch is the LiPo select function, but this is the confusion here. The reason it has this "function" is the same thing as the "smart cut off" you refer to. The selection of "lipo" battery useage on the ESC merely tells the ESC to "cut off power to the motor " at a preset figure for the LiPo battery which is actually 9V for a 3s Pack.

In all other respects the ESC could not care two hoots what type of battery is connected to it....Lithium, nicad nimh etc