Death of a Calmato

Gluefinger

It had been a great mornings flying with several successful flights with my Boomerang trainer and my follow on low winger the Calmato
I had been flying circuits and practising landing and taking off and was feeling quite pleased with myself.
One more flight.
At the end of the take off run I seem to lose control just after lift off the right wing drops and the plane veers to the right and down, no response to stick correction ...... total destruction.
At first I thought that an aileron failure was the cause as both ailerons had popped out of the wings on impact and showed very little glue on the hinges but now I have sorted through the bits I have found that the sliding Rx switch was at the midpoint position not fully on or off!
I must not have moved the switch to the ON position fully so that only enough contact was made to turn the Rx on but contact was lost from the vibration of taking off and so the Rx was turned off.
Thinking back now the throttle did not respond either after being opened up for take off.
Even though I had done my range checks and checked my control surfaces I still made a basic mistake of not making sure a switch was properly turned on.
Fortunately I have another Calmato waiting in its box because I got them at a good price and bought two

Advert

Sorry to hear about your crash -- is it not repairable?

One "trick" with the sliding on/off switch is to make sure that it's mounted so that it's on when pushed backwards. That's because when handling the model there's sometimes a tendency to inadvertently brush against the switch in a backward direction, such as when letting go after restraining it while you do your final throttle and controls checks.

Graham. That thought crossed my mind as I started the motor......

Ken. battery was more than 90% It was a balmy 80 deg F here in Oz, blue sky, sun was shining a gentle sea breeze ..... You get the picture

Allan. Fuselage completely destroyed surprising how lightly it was built

Just remembered. This for all intents and purposes seems to be exactly identical (apart from the rather bright covering) to a calmoto 40:

Soar 40 Sports Low Wing Balsa 1550mm (ARF) (UK Warehouse)

In the usual HobbyKing style, its blimming cheap. I bet its out of the same factory too. I've got it on bookmark for when I next write off my low wing hack! teeth 2

I wasn't sure on the covering at first, however thinking about it, I'd probably help heaps in orientation...

Si.

Posted by Lee Wilson on 08/02/2013 08:09:26:
Posted by Simon Chambers on 08/02/2013 00:26:48:

At least you managed to keep nearly all the fuel! teeth 2

Si.

I'd just refuelled Si, thought it would be easier while I had the tank out. Quick bit of work with the cyano and she'd be airborne againlaugh

For the most part, it does look actually pretty repairable - you've got most of the big bits still. I'd glue the sides back on and double them up with some spruce strips or similar. I did similar amount of work to a Travel Air I stalled on take off and busted up.

Would be a fair bit of work, however if you got it fixed and saved buying a replacement, it would mean that you've got a free airframe! That's the way I look at it...

Si.