Jolly Roger, flies again

Roger 2

Hi All

I don't know if this is of any interest to any one, but I think it is quite a nice ending.

In the 70's a good riend of mine bought a 54" Rojair Jolly Roger kit and took it back to Holland with him. The next time I went back to Den Haag I test flew it for him.

Unfortunately due to him not joining a club and being taught to fly; his work schedules / his kids.... etc...etc it then sat in his loft.

About 5 years ago the big "C" claimed him and a couple of years ago I brought the plane back to Britain.

I didn't have the heart to get rid of it, at the start of the year when I was making space for a new build and we do share the same name. So I stripped all the old r/c gear out of the plane and did a little refurbishment, very little was needed. Though I ended up boiling the carb assy of the engine with a little washing up liquid to free the barrel. The engine a Master C4 then ran very well, Yesterday I flew the plane again and I have to say it flew very well although I did miss ailerons, it being only 3 channels.

Weird it had only had the one flight by me in nearly 40 yrs and now it's back with me and in the air again. I will have to have a video made and post it back to his wife in Holland.

I'm glad I didn't throw it out.

Cheers

Roger

Hi FB3

I have to admit that it was enjoyable to fly , I had 3 flights and was really pleased to have 3 good greaser type landings with what is almost a vintage plane and engine.

The Master C4 is a 4cc engine having a single jet, and whats more it flew on Tuesday using it's original glow plug faultlesly.

Cheers

Roger

I also remember a Jolly Roger Custom Executive that I learnt to fly 4 channel on, but I thought that was mid-70s, A second-hand Horizon 8 radio set and probably the ubiquitous Merco 35, memory is getting a bit fuzzy on that one.

It must have been a success as an advanced trainer as I managed to avoid major model>ground interfaces with it for a good while.

Hello Steve

I have uploaded a few photos so here are a couple of the Jolly Roger.

I think, for it's age it looks quite good, and not out of place as a "modern" trainer, it can be flown very slow and it isn't quite sure what a stall actually means,  I expect it is due to it's fairly low wing loading.

.rojair jolly roger a.jpg

I had to threaten it with an iron on the solar film , and had "fun"  freeing off the motor,  especially the carb.

rojair jolly roger1 a.jpg

Cheers

Roger

Edited By Roger 2 on 17/02/2013 14:57:19

Edited By Roger 2 on 17/02/2013 14:59:24

Hi Bob

Yes the wingspan is 54" I am sure it is, the plans state there are 2 versions, weird that I was even given the plans. Well nearly 40 years old and it has flown 4 times, it has a home now with 2 other planes of a similar age .

1 Kiel Kraft Ivory Gull

2 DB Tinker

Both I fly regularly.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Steve

It sure is ; it panicked the life out of me on it's first "reserected" flight as it ran down the runway the rudder (left hand stick) didn't work , I 'm so used to 4 chan that I forgot that the rudder was on the rt hand with the elevator. No harm done, but it put my heart rate up!!

Cheers

Roger