Whizzza

I’m about to start building the I.C. Whizzza. I contacted a very helpful chap at Vortex who told me that he stocks canopies for the electric version but not the I.C. one. He said that Nigel Hawes has never asked him for a canopy for this version of the Whizzza. (Which is wider than the electric one) Can anyone help please? I would not have purchased the plans and wood pack etc. if I had been aware that the canopy was not available. I have been in contact with My Hobby Store who told me they can’t get one either, and apologized and washed there hands of the matter. So why are they selling the I.C. version, I feel cheated. So anyone thinking of building the I.C. Whizzza beware.

Advert

Well if I were going to build a Whizza I would probably not buy the canopy from vortex anyway. I think it is not too long to make a pop bottle canopy. I would make a hardish balsa block in the shape of the canopy. Cut the end off of a suitable pop bottle. Wedge the block in plce in the pop bottle with some scraps of wood and then use a heat gun to shrink the bottle over the mould. It may take a few bottles in order to get the hang of it, but the material is free.

A variation is using a modified mastic gun to make a kind of vacuum former. There is a thread on the forum somewhere detailing this.

I've had great results using this method, and its very satisfying turning a bit of scrap plastic into a useable canopy.

This is the video that I watched and copied with great success.

Here is the mastic gun tool. Looks better for smaller canopies to me.

Edited By GrahamC on 15/02/2013 16:55:01

Go for it. What have you to loose?

You will find that a razor plane is great for quickly shaping a canopy, and then use a sanding block. I use a Perma-Grit block [well worth the £15 I paid] and the rough face will eat through balsa very quickly. Then the fine side, and then sandpaper. A canopy plug takes about 20 minutes. I have even done it with pink foam, but you have to be very careful as the heat from the gun is enough to melt the foam. I'd advise balsa if you have it. If you don't have block balsa, scraps of 6-9mm laminated with aliphatic is pobably the next best solution. [Aliphatic sands very like balsa]

Some people will use a harder wood - such as an offcut of 4x2. If you have the tools to shape it that would be fine too.

Get a nice smooth finish and you should be able to make an acceptable canopy.

Many thanks to all you kind chaps who replied to my request for help. I will purchase the electric canopy from Vortex. I was convinced it wouldn’t fit the I.C. version as its .2” wider. That’s solved my problem. I will still try to make one using Grahams method to see if I’m able to do it. If I can I won’t have to worry about canopies ever again.

The build quality of the Whizzzza shown on this thread are most impressive.

• 2 months later...

At last I’m ready to put the canopy on my I.C. Whizzza. I have built the removable wing version. Would someone be kind enough to explain how it is attached to the wing and do I have to fabricate something where it butts up against the rear fuselage. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers Frazer