Another Corben Baby Ace Build

This is my second build - the first was from a plan in RCM&E called Harlequin. Purchased from Eddie at the LMA show in Rougham 2012 progress with the CBA has been quite slow. But I've been inspired by a Tom (Major) who has a comprehensive build log with lots of photos on this forum.

Yesterday I covered the tail and rudder with OraCover - and the results are mixed. Just when I think I was getting the hang of it another corner would show up and test my cutting and shrinking skills. All too often I'd find some balse showing through and in the end I resigned myself to covering these with small patches. Today I'll tackle the hinges and cutting the template for the cockpit cover. Yet again Tom has been extremely helpful and the photos are invaluable. Indeed I would have liked a few more photos included with the instructions and plans (it's an excellent kit).

The engine choice is next and I've been asking folk at my local flying club about electric or IC (2 and 4-stroke). And the more people I ask the more confusing it gets and everyone has a different view (no surprise there). I like the practicality of electric but am drawn to a 4-stroke (especially the RCV range for some reason). Anyway I'm watching a second hand OS 40FS on ebay and a brand new RCV58CD as well.

Hopefully I can meet Eddie 1 year later at the Rougham LMA show and report back some good progress.

Here's a picture to show you where I'm at:

imgp0896.jpg

Advert

NBF.

Well your building work and covering look good.

As for the covering I always allow a 2" over hang on flat pieces like the tail and fin surfaces. For wing tips I tend cut a piece twice the size of the wing tip and use an modelling iron to seal it and the heat gun to shrink around the curves.

Nothing wrong with the RCV engines, pretty good for scale aircraft. I use an ASP 70 in my 80" Pawnee and had more power then is needed.

Everyone has their own views on IC or electric. I have a mix of electric and IC and prefer IC but that is just me. It depends where you want to go in to hobby. Me I wanted to fly scale WW2 aircraft.

Fuelling them and starting the engines etc is all part of the hobby but if I want a quick flight I take a my Pulse XT25e which is my electric choice.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 24/02/2013 15:23:21

Hi Dave and thanks for showing us Your progress.

Looking awesome so far, it's almost finished. I remember my first attempts with Solartex - a lot of it got binned and on my Corben there is no way to hide it was my first coveringwink.

Leccy setup of course has its strong points. If I'd install it, most probably my Baby would be after maiden flight, but from other side You can't compare it. IC just has its soul and You don't need more than one battery to stay in the air for long timewink.

Cockpit decking is easier to do than it looks like. As I told You, just copy one side from 107, another, check that they are the same, sand a little and it's done. I just looked for my template, but didn't find it - most probably kids had some fun with it.

Keep up the good work. Maybe we'll meet some day to fly them in formationwink. I will stay tuned for more progress.

I wish You good luck, but from the picture I see You don't need it. It isn't too hard to make good Babywinkcheeky.

Regards

Tom