Synthesised transmitters and mobile phones

Steve Houghton

Back to the topic.

Radio transmission depends on the generation of an Electro Magnetic wave. In normal use the Electric field is dominant. However, when a transmitter is held in very close proximity to an electronic circuit, the magnetic field becomes dominant and can cause havoc. It is not interference in the conventional sense due to poor selectivity of a receiver or a noisy and wide transmission but simply due to induced energy from one object to another. 

The fix is very simply, don't place your mobile phone (which is always transmitting) next to an electronic circuit of an sort.

Edited By Martyn K on 03/10/2020 02:16:11

Posted by Steve Houghton on 02/10/2020 21:41:06:

Jrman, thanks for the info - I didn't know they were still manufacturing, I thought they were just selling off old stocks.

Pete, yes I've now seen some JR/DFA prices at Probuild - wow!

At those RX prices and with no new TXs I can’t see them surviving for long. They are just too far behind the competition in terms of technology and market share to catch up at his point.

• 2 weeks later...

This post applies to 2.4 gear rather then 35MHz. In my club we have had a single occurrence of possible mobile phone interference with a transmitter, in this case while in flight. The model was being flown by an experienced and capable pilot when his phone rang in his pocket (this was prior to the BMFA recommendation). As the phone rang his model went out of control and crashed.

The two possible explanations I have come up with are a) the phone did interfere with the tx operation, b) the pilot's attention was diverted by the phone tone and he lost concentration and control of the model. My money is still on the 2nd possible cause but the pilot is certain his control of the model was not affected by the phone call. Probably irrelevant but the radio was a Multiplex (I have no idea which model but it was 2.4).

Purely out of interest I recently tested another radio by putting it into rage test mode, walking out about 100 metres, and then calling the model restrainer on my mobile. We had a conversation with both of us holding our phones as close as we could manage to the tx at my end and the rx at his end and the model responded to all commands faultlessly. I am not claiming this was a scientific test but it did reassure me that my radio appeared to be fairly resistant to interference from my and my mate's mobile phones. Obviously another phone may have had a different effect. Oh, I have metal cased and plastic cased txs; this test was with a plastic cased tx.

Julian

Edited By Julian Thacker on 14/10/2020 20:56:52