Synthesised transmitters and mobile phones

Steve Houghton

SInce the BMFA published safety bulletin No. 6 regarding possible interference between mobile phones and syntheised transmitters, I haven't come across any follow-up information or developments. I think the bulletin came out at the end of 2004 and was published in RCM&E around December 2004. See url=http://www.bmfa.org/news/bulletins/sb6_mobiles.html]Safety bulletin 6

It was stated that the UKRCC would be carrying out further investigations and making recommendations, but I haven't heard anything more - perhaps I missed it?

I am considering the purchase of a synthesised set, possibly the Multiplex Cockpit SX, but would like to hear anyone's comments about any practical problems and precautions needed when using synthesised sets. Is it only the TX that is affected, or can synthesised RXs also be affected?

I also recall that the information published in RCM&E stated that this may be a problem with all 'programmable' sets, which I assume would include all computer sets, whether synthesised or not?

Can anyone throw any light on these matters, please, particularly those of you who are now 'synthesised'!?

Thanks, Steve.

• 12 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I think it is relevant.

Now, I must state that I aren't n elektrishun nor a tefelone enjinear so I've no idea on the causes and I'm just relating an experience I had yesterday.

I was slope soaring with a buddy. No, my buddy wasn't soaring along the slope while I controlled him, he was flying his model and I was flying mine.wink 2

Anyway, I had just set my glider and tx down next to my rucksack while I had a coffee break. I had switched off the glider but hadn't yet switched off the tx. The tx is a Multiplex Cockpit SX9, I've long been a fan of Multiplex and have never had a problem.

I suddenly heard a strange whooshing sound, similar to the sound an all-moulded glider makes when it is being flown fast across the face of the slope. However, my buddy was flying a converted Lidl so I new it wasn't that. I then realised the sound was coming from my Tx!!

I then realised that my phone was ringing in my rucksack. As soon as I answered the phone then the rushing sound stopped but, while I spoke on the phone I picked the transmitter up to turn it off and I found the right hand side of my transmitter was quite hot.

It has always been my practice to leave my phone in my rucksack at the slope, or in my car at the club field rather than in my trouser pocket just in case.

That was my first experience of mobile interference but it has convinced me that mobile phones and transmitters should not be in close proximity, certainly not Mpx SX anyway .

Had the memory of the transmitter been affected? ie were the controls still set up properly for the glider?

It's certainly sensible to carry your mobile when out on the hill in a remote spot (although we managed without them for years - in my case I was often cycling miles from home incommunicado but now I feel vulnerable without my phone with me ). However it's a good idea to separate it and your transmitter as much as possible.

Are you sure the hot transmitter and the proximity to your phone are connected? Could it simply have been hot for some other reason? eg in sunlight or switched on and covered by a jacket?

Geoff

Strangely enough the only case of this that I've actually witnessed also involved a Multiplex Tx, though I can't remember which type.

It was many years ago, and the model that crashed was a turbine helicopter (ouch!), being flown by a very capable and experienced pilot. I seem to recall that it was a Multiplex Tx controlling a JR receiver in the model, a strange combination, but it had previously been reliable.

A post mortem test revealed that a mobile phone in close proximity to the pilot caused the link between pilot and model to fail when the 'phone rang. Indeed, I think this was one of a couple of similar incidents that prompted the BMFA bulletin. The time period seems about right.

Tests with other transmitters didn't show the same problem (can't remember which transmitters were tested, but would almost certainly have included JR as they were very popular with heli pilots at the time).

The conclusion we came to was that plastic cased transmitters were vulnerable unless they included some kind of screening inside. Not all do!

Personally, I've never liked plastic transmitters, purely from an engineering point of view. In days of yore, transmitters were made of folded sheet metal, which not only provided good protection against outside interference, but also made a much better "earth" contact with the pilot, improving the poor radiation pattern from telescopic aerials.

However, as is so often the case (Boeing 737-MAX?) economics took priority over engineering and we are where we are!

--

Pete

Posted by Geoff S on 29/09/2020 10:20:27:

Had the memory of the transmitter been affected? ie were the controls still set up properly for the glider?

It's certainly sensible to carry your mobile when out on the hill in a remote spot (although we managed without them for years - in my case I was often cycling miles from home incommunicado but now I feel vulnerable without my phone with me ). However it's a good idea to separate it and your transmitter as much as possible.

Are you sure the hot transmitter and the proximity to your phone are connected? Could it simply have been hot for some other reason? eg in sunlight or switched on and covered by a jacket?

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I had 2 models with me and they both passed a thorough check . As for the heat, I did wonder if it was sunlight but it subsided quickly when I turned it off and didn't recur when I turned it back on again, even though it was still in sunlight. It coud have just been coincidence because I can't think what may have caused it, I've certainly never noticed any heating of the Tx before.

Posted by Steve J on 30/09/2020 06:54:24:

Personally, I would rather fly with a transmitter that is compliant with modern EMC standards.

The problem with modern EMC standards is that they are mostly designed to stop the transmitter interfering with other users.

In this case, it is a transmitter being susceptible to interference from other users.

Enclosing the electronics in some kind of Faraday cage (ie: a metal box) not only protects a transmitter from external interference, but also reduces stray radiation from it. Not all of the output from a transmitter goes up the aerial!

Many "plastic" transmitters do include some kind of screening - either a coating sprayed on the inside of the box, or enclosing critical components inside internal metal compartments - but such measures inevitably increase production costs. And none of us wants to spend more than we have to!

The best solution remains a metal cased transmitter. Sadly, these are now a thing of the past!

--

Pete

I was test-flying a model with Multiplex 2.4Ghz radio for a clubmate recently. . About two minutes into the flight, the ailerons reversed themselves. . surprise . . The only thing we could put it down to was my buddy had a mobile phone in his pocket.

Flying with any function reversed is certainly a challenge but the model made a tidy landing back on the grass strip.. yes

Strangely, the close proximity of a phone to other makes of modern transmitters doesn't seem to affect the Tx................. so far.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 30/09/2020 08:58:02

Posted by J D 8 on 30/09/2020 08:56:05:

Pardon if I am missing something here but I thought it was just the RX's that are synthesized. I still use my Futaba FF7 35 band with synthesized RX's [ no crystal ] Is that something different ?

Some brands did both synthesized Rx and synthesized Tx. I could swap channels on 35MHz without changing any crystals with my Multiplex.

Dick

I am still the proud owner of one of the first batch of Mpx Cockpit SXs into the UK, it's always been faultless. Regarding the possible interaction of cellular phones and my Cockpit, what interaction? Having a business which required me to be contactable by my clients and/or staff 24/7 my phone was always within reach or about my person - when my plane was actually in the air, I had a bud in my ear and a mike clipped to my shirt collar - and I was never aware of any obvious 'glitches' before during or after a call - though my concentration on the plane could have been temporarily compromised! Standard reply - "I've got my hands full, I'll phone you back in a minute". Then land and return the call - and especially if it was a Sunday afternoon - pack plane and gear into the car and get back to earning a crust! ( If it's your business you're never off duty. )

A couple of members at our club have got motion detectors at home which set off their phones, so you will be flying with them and hear a message "motion detected", don't worry they say it will just be the wife going into the garden.

I often fly on the slope with my phone in my pocket, never had any issues with programmable radios from Futaba, Spektrum, Multiplex and Jeti, while using Blackberry and Sony Android mobile phones.

BTW if your transmitter is somehow getting hot then it would need power to do this, so you would probably see the battery volts/remaining mins dropping off too.

Be interesting to see what phone was causing the interference too.

Not sure what Multiplex Tx Brian was using, but if it was a Royal Pro/Sx or Profi you can reverse the aileron input in the aileron mixer if you enter the aileron mixer menu, highlight the aileron input and then push the Rev/Clr button, but that would take a few deliberate button pushes to get there. But it would be one thing to check on the radio in question, if the aileron input has gone from +100% to -100% that could be the cause. Otherwise if it has dual ailerons you'd have to reverse both aileron servo simultaneously.

Posted by Dickw on 30/09/2020 10:58:58:
Posted by J D 8 on 30/09/2020 08:56:05:

Pardon if I am missing something here but I thought it was just the RX's that are synthesized. I still use my Futaba FF7 35 band with synthesized RX's [ no crystal ] Is that something different ?

Some brands did both synthesized Rx and synthesized Tx. I could swap channels on 35MHz without changing any crystals with my Multiplex.

Dick

Thanks for the info. Cheers, John.

"The only thing we could put it down to was my buddy had a mobile phone in his pocket."

The likelihood of RF interference causing a change to the SW functionality of this specific a nature is very close to zero.

Far more likely is a user error during setup of the model on the TX, or simply a defect in the TX software.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 30/09/2020 13:44:30:

A couple of members at our club have got motion detectors at home which set off their phones, so you will be flying with them and hear a message "motion detected", don't worry they say it will just be the wife going into the garden.

I often fly on the slope with my phone in my pocket, never had any issues with programmable radios from Futaba, Spektrum, Multiplex and Jeti, while using Blackberry and Sony Android mobile phones.

BTW if your transmitter is somehow getting hot then it would need power to do this, so you would probably see the battery volts/remaining mins dropping off too.

Be interesting to see what phone was causing the interference too.

Not sure what Multiplex Tx Brian was using, but if it was a Royal Pro/Sx or Profi you can reverse the aileron input in the aileron mixer if you enter the aileron mixer menu, highlight the aileron input and then push the Rev/Clr button, but that would take a few deliberate button pushes to get there. But it would be one thing to check on the radio in question, if the aileron input has gone from +100% to -100% that could be the cause. Otherwise if it has dual ailerons you'd have to reverse both aileron servo simultaneously.

It was a Samsung Galaxy J5.

I have sometimes forgotten to take my phone out of my pocket and this is the first time I've ever experienced any interference over many years.

I've no idea what caused it but, now I know it can happen, I will not chance it if I can help it.

As we used to say in my sky-diving days " If there's a million to one chance that something can happen then one day it will"!!

Peter C,

I use the Jeti system. The programming is intuitive and not difficult to use. There are also some excellent videos on Youtube. I 'd say the basic modes ie to set up and fly a model from scratch , are not dis-similar to what you would do on a DX6 . It is pretty straightforward. What you are paying for is the flexibility and quality of the system . Best move I made, which was when the first 16's came out. I have the 24 , still learning.

It was either that ,a new handbag or look to dust off my old Fleet gear.

Tomtom: I hear what you are saying, and really don't want to get into a "BrandX Vs BrandY", so I'll confine myself to saying that I've never had a problem programming OpenTx. My comments were based on watching a flying buddy struggling to set up crow braking, but he does tend to over-complicate things! wink

Coming back to the original topic, mobile 'phone interference has been repeatedly demonstrated on some well known brands of equipment. Not all systems suffer from it, but some do - hence the BMFA bulletin on the subject.

The problem is that its not even just a brand issue, as some models within a brand range appear susceptible whilst others do not.

Mobile 'phones do put out very powerful, pulsed signals on occasions, and will break through into anything that is not well shielded. I'm sure we've all heard that rat-a-tat-tat noise on a stereo or computer speakers at some time.

That bulletin is still as valid today as it was back in the days of 35 MHz. I had hoped that 2.4 GHz equipment would, by its nature, be better screened, but it would appear that not all of them are!

Be careful out there!

--

Pete

Thanks to Geoff C for bringing my old thread back to life, and to everyone who has posted interesting comments.

My immediate need for advice has now largely passed, since I invested in a 2.4GHz JR DSX-9 a few months after the opening post. I'm now stuck with old DSM-2 technology, lots of matching receivers, and an expired manufacturer. However, for the timebeing the DSX-9 is working fine and is a great TX to programme and handle, as long as it remains reliable and operational.

Shortly before JR folded, I also bought a JR XG-7 with a couple of DMSS receivers, and was once again left with unsupported technology. Ah, such is life!