Arducopter build (hopefully!)

Robin Kearney

Tony, nothing I'd change at the moment. I've still not had it out in a decent sized field, so no time to play with flight modes like return to launch etc. I've got a little 808 keyfob cam, I think I'll try and mount that on it somehow for the next flight.

I like that conversion kit for the frame, looks like a dedicated camera mount out the front, might be tempted by that at some point later

r.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony, sorry it has been firmly sat on my desk for a while now, been busy with house move related stuff and on the only flying day I've had since Feb I took a collection of long neglected aircraft!

I was hoping to fly it indoors at our monthly meeting last week, but the school was shut so I ended up coming home without flying a thing

I'll get out soon fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to stick the 808 cam on the quad. I have to admit I lost the poor quadcopter during the move, only finding it this week surprise

The video is unedited, so excuse it being slightly boring, and it shows I really have quite a bad vibration problem. I really need to sort that out. I lost orientation on one circuit and let it land in some long grass. No damage thankfully.

• 3 weeks later...
So since the last video I've played some more, I set one of the flight modes to Loiter, which when I switched to that mode the quad sort of wandered off in about a 10 o'clock direction. Hmm, that isn't loitering in my book!
So I had a bit of a read and a lot of people seem to suggest vibration can lead to similar issues, so I figured I ought to balance those props and have another go.
I've got to say, I was pretty amazed how out of balance the HK GWS clone props were, I'm certainly not putting one on an airframe without balancing it in future. I guess that is a routine I ought to follow with every prop on every airframe, but I've clearly been complacent and just got away with it in the past wink
Now the quad is a very different animal, lovely and smooth and loiters around just like it is supposed too. The vibration isn't complete gone, but it is so much better than before it is like night and day. Quick video shot in the garden below.

Ha, glad to provide some input again. The house move kncocked any hobby related activity for a while there, and the last weekend was spent building the play house you can see in the corner of the garden. Hopefully I'll have more time now to play with the quad.

You are correct, two budding pilots, you'll notice how little attention they paid to a quad hovering around. More interested in sandpits and Thomas smiley

Hi Robin, got a question for you.

I have given your spec to a young lad who wants to build a quad, but I'm not sure what you did (if anything) to your ESC's. Did you update the firmware to the 'Simonk' version? If you didn't maybe that would smooth things out even more?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

Beyond the recomended calibration of each ESC before assembly, I didnt do anything else. I've been reading about the SimonK firmware though, might give it a try if I can build the cables easily enough.

I'm currently pondering a Go-Pro, well to be fair I have for a long while, but the thought of slinging it under the quad is becoming quite apealing wink

I spent a little time out with the quad yesterday, testing out the RTL mode. It seems to work exactly as described, returning itself back to the launch point, very neat. Below is a little video from the onboard keychain cam.

Ooh, I like that tool tony, looks pretty clever. So presumably the black connector on the other end plugs into the USBasp?

I've a quietish day tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some time to read up on SimonK firmware.

I had the quad fly its first autonomous mission on Sunday, but nerve wracking as I flipped the switch to enable that flight mode, I can tell you! Needn't have worried though, it flew round the way points just fine and returned to loitering just in front of me. Good stuff

Yep, you have it, plugs right into the USBasp and clips over the chip. I believe its necessary to take the heat sink off which will need to be glued back on. You can use heat conductive paste from plumbers merchants, but I suppose any thin glue might do. If you want to try it drop me a PM, I don't think I will be using it in the near future.

Hi Tony, thanks for the offer. I'll likely take you up on that when I've got my head around the firmware. I believe I have a Turnigy Plus 25 ESC with an SiLabs MCU. According to the pictures, that is row 75 in this spreadsheet.

Will your programmer work with SiLabs MCUs or is it AtMega only?

Also, did you download and compile the firmware yourself? I couldn't find anywhere that stored the compiled code, although having said that cloning his GIT repo and compiling it myself only took a few mins.

On a separate note, the screenshot below shows my shiny new Sonar sensor is live and working. Now I just need to mount it on the frame wink

ardu-sonar.jpg

Edited By Robin Kearney on 20/06/2013 15:00:20

• 3 months later...