COG advise please

Hi,

I need to know how many times through a build you would check if your COG is moving in the right direction or is this something that is checked on final stages of construction, i know that most plans and models give a measurement for the "sweet spot" upon where the inverted model should balance upon finger tips or more sophisticated apparatus, and would this test be done with engine fitted and perhaps an average fuel load ?

I know that i may be talking gobbledegook to some of you well experienced people but i am at the moment confused by it.

Bill (the confused)

Advert

Hi Bill, I for one do have a trial fit of things just to get a rough idea, but obviously it has to be very late on in the build. I include everything that I can. My models are electric so include fuel wink 2 But if it were ic I would balance without, and let the fuel bring the c of g forward for flight.

If my model isn't fairly nose heavy before covering and paint, then I know it will probably need lead up the front, if a cell shift wont cure it. Covering and paint have a dramatic impact on the c of g in my experience, unless its a long nosed model like a Mustang of course...... so until its finished you don't really know.

I think when you are building you know when you are adding to much weight to the tail, it becomes second nature to make everything as light as possible behind the c of g. I think Dave Platt states, 10g for a sheet of 1/16" x 3" x 36" is the heaviest he will use for the back end of a model. Leave epoxy in the bottle and make the joints do the work by being a good fit.

Cheers

Danny