First Slope Soarer

Hi All,

Having passed my Fixed Wing "a" a couple of years ago I've decided it's time to have a go at slope soaring, the Long Mynd in Shropshire is half an hours drive away.

This Morning I've been offered (what is perported to be) a Flair Vortex...

3 Channels with single aileron servo, Semi symetrical wing about 60" span for not too much money.

Looks a BIT like a phase 6 or middle phase

My Question is, has anyone ever heard of such a beast, if so would it be a suitable first soarer for a reasonablish fixed wing flyer or would i be better off giving Mr Head @ SAS a call and ordering myself a shiny new Wildthing(for a fair bit more cash)?

Thanks Guys

Chris

Advert

Chris, it depends on how confident you are and if you are flying with an experienced helper. Or even with someone who can be relied on to give a good launch.

If you want to learn basic aerobatics go for the Vortex otherwise the ' foam' wing will take a lot more abuse while sorting out the way that soaring works. (Bearing in mind that the gorse etc. can be unforgiving of mistakes on the Mynd. Also bear in mind that the LMSA controls flying there. (Subscription very reasonable , used to be £3.)

Best of luck whichever way you choose to go.

Looks a bit big to me for a first slope soarer----i would go for the SAS Wildthing also.

Vortex spec below---Chris your description sounds more like a Flair Heron---OK for a starter but less robust than the Wildthing.Remember slope soarers never want to come down!

MJE

Vortex
What would the formula one be without Ferrari?

Get your formula one airplane with a vortex !!!

In 3 years of engineering we have developed an brilliant airplane. The 9%ige original profile is strengthened by carbon in all heady pressured areas

The high performance wings are mounted on a elegant fuselage strengthened with lots of carbon. The wings have an profile of 9 % MH 32, are although fully armed with carbon and they are moulded in nc milled aluminium forms. Vortex offers an wide range of usability, from cruising till full speed aerobatic soaring.

You can use the vortex for all flying purposes, very slow gliding or full aerobatic speeding.
With a electric motor set you can expand this racer to an extrem-hotliner.
Technical data:

span 4280 mm
wing area 94 qdm
profile MH 32 original
fuselage length 1900 mm
weight 5600 g
wing load 58 g/dm
extra load capacity 1500g

Technical description and content

- ARF wings triple sectioned, full area carbon arming, torsion stable and fully edged rudders and ailerons with E-Flap ready mounted, Round steel wing mounting, TA servo lock system, aluminium airbrakes

- ARF elevator with 3D-wingtips, fixed with safety-system

- ARF rudder with ready finished fillet

- Fuselage pur white, with comprehensive CFK-AFK-stabilisation, ready fixed cables, rudder mounting

- Accessories: CNC machined RC-board, complete description, TA-servo lock set with hood.

Thanks for that Guys!

Wild Thing it is then!

Just typed Flair Heron into the search bar & looked @ Polyphillia's makeover thread & yes it looks very much like that!

Chris P B, You sound as though you know the Mynd reasonably well, How do i contact the LMSA to join? and how often/how many fliers get up there?

Is it reasonable to just turn up & hope that someone's there who'll be able to show me the ropes or am i better off appealing on here for help the week or so before i'm ready to chuck my new investment off the side?

Thanks Chris

THE LMSA site is here **LINK** As I thought, membership is £3 P.A. Best to speak to the Chairman, who is a knowledgeable person and might be able to put you in touch with another local flyer.

There is a lot of useful information on the website.

As you will see, there are a number of different sites, depending on the wind direction. Pole Cottage when the wind is from the west is probably the best place to start. (It is also the easiest to find and an easy level walk.

I wasn't really sure what a Vortex was, I assumed it was actually like a Middle Phase. If you can buy it for less than a Wildthing, then it must be a bargain!smile d

Weekends can get quite busy, weekdays you could be on your own. CPB

My first slope soarer was a single channel Boddington "Apprentice" which I built without the optional power pod. It wasn't a great success - probably because of my ineptitude..

My first success on the slope was with a Keil Kraft "Chief" with the trim tab enlarged to make a rudder controlled by the same single channel radio with rubber band powered escapement and "bang- bang" rudder control. It taught me a great deal about trimming for different weather conditions, contolling a stall by kicking in rudder at the appropriate time. managing to do a loop without having an elevator and also bringing a model with no elevator down to a landing without have to make a "half mile" trek to retrieve it.

Malcolm

Thanks for that link CPB!
Looks like a Very Useful site!

The Deed is done however, just spoken to Mr. Head at SAS (& what a thoroughly nice chap!) & ordered a Wildthing 60".

As I can't find a dedicated build blog on here I Might create one over the next couple of weeks if anyone's interested?

CB.

Try the search box - Im sure with the amount of Wts we have on here, theres a build blog somewhere - having said that its so easy,....its hardly worth it? The build for the 60 is exactly the same as the 46"

You will love the WT - just follow the instructions exactly, and all will be fine, AH knows a thing or two about them.

Follow the instructions to the letter and you will be ok....put the switch on top so it doesn't interfer with your take off throw.

Don't stretch the fabric tape too tight it will buckle the wings, but it says that in the instructions.

Read them thoroughly a few times, they cover everything. Ring up SAS if you get stuck they're great. Eveything in the box is very usuable and is fit for purpose.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 16/03/2013 15:28:00:

Looks a bit big to me for a first slope soarer----i would go for the SAS Wildthing also.

Vortex spec below---Chris your description sounds more like a Flair Heron---OK for a starter but less robust than the Wildthing.Remember slope soarers never want to come down!

MJE

Vortex
What would the formula one be without Ferrari?

Get your formula one airplane with a vortex !!!

In 3 years of engineering we have developed an brilliant airplane. The 9%ige original profile is strengthened by carbon in all heady pressured areas

The high performance wings are mounted on a elegant fuselage strengthened with lots of carbon. The wings have an profile of 9 % MH 32, are although fully armed with carbon and they are moulded in nc milled aluminium forms. Vortex offers an wide range of usability, from cruising till full speed aerobatic soaring.

You can use the vortex for all flying purposes, very slow gliding or full aerobatic speeding.
With a electric motor set you can expand this racer to an extrem-hotliner.
Technical data:

span 4280 mm
wing area 94 qdm
profile MH 32 original
fuselage length 1900 mm
weight 5600 g
wing load 58 g/dm
extra load capacity 1500g

Technical description and content

- ARF wings triple sectioned, full area carbon arming, torsion stable and fully edged rudders and ailerons with E-Flap ready mounted, Round steel wing mounting, TA servo lock system, aluminium airbrakes

- ARF elevator with 3D-wingtips, fixed with safety-system

- ARF rudder with ready finished fillet

- Fuselage pur white, with comprehensive CFK-AFK-stabilisation, ready fixed cables, rudder mounting

- Accessories: CNC machined RC-board, complete description, TA-servo lock set with hood.

Wrong plane I think, Mike. The above spec is for the Tangent Vortex, which is a completely different beast from a Veron Vortex.

Chris read your other forum postembarrassed

Don't worry about the wind that the Wildthing will handle......a mate and I went flying one day and gave up when it was gusting 55mph!!!!!! Not because the planes wouldn't fly, WE COULDN'T LAUNCH THEM!!!!!!