EDF Afterburner

Simon Chambers

I've always thought playing around with something similar like this on the bench - but never had the time. I reckoned that you could do a small proof of concept with a refillable cigarette lighter and then do a bigger one with a combustible fuel, mini-fuel pump and a brass pipe with very small holes to atomise the fuel. No idea if its actually legal to fly such a model in the UK though...! It can't be that much more dangerous to do than a real jet turbine.

I personally think they could have chosen a better model though - i.e. one without a tail boom!

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 21/03/2013 17:33:14

Advert

I hope this young mans efforts are recognised and developed. I'm sure if turbines can be allowed in unmanned models it won't be long before we see a system like this being commercially available. Simons V1 would be an excellent candidate.

Edited By Tangental on 21/03/2013 18:25:07

Stun guns are illegal, but the electronic circuit (flyback transformer) that produces the high voltage isn't! You'll find a bigger version of the stun gun electronics in CRT tvs. It wouldn't be overly hard to design and build a equivalent circuit to get around it here. I guess he used a stun gun as it was off the shelf and worked.

Si.

• 2 weeks later...