Now I've Got a Wildthing Too!

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all those who helped me make the decision what model to go for as my first Sloper.

Spoke to Mr. Head on Monday and had a big box waiting for me when i got home from work yesterday, I've gone for the 60" version in the hope that it'll give me a slightly wider range of windspeeds to fly in!

A couple of questions occur to me straight off after reading the instructions...

• obviously I need to shape the leading edge but can I leave the Tips square or will this adversly affect the handling? (Not PURELY Laziness, i Quite like the look of the shape with squared off tips!)
  • can I use Solarfilm onto the CW Tape and the Corex as i have some Lurid Pink which should clash 'Orriblycheeky with the orange parcel tape i ordered with the kit.

Hope to have her ready to chuck off the Long Mynd the week after Easter as I've got some time off work if it ever stops snowing!!

Chris

Advert

I left my tips square as I thought it might be easier to cover. I dont think its any better or worse really.

Dont sand it indoors though, the black dust goes everywhere!

The main purpose of the coloured tape covering is to keep UV from the CW tape so solarfilm is ok. Remember its a bit of a rough & ready model though, dont waste time on a concours job!

Cheers

Phil

My LHS sells rolls of different coloured parcel tape (don't get white as its almost seethrough). I personally wouldn't bother with Solarfilm but if you decide to, then use Solarfilm Solvent (forget what its proper name is) to fix. Use sparingly by just applying to the model with some cotton wool. Don't apply to the film. It'll stick nicely and if done well won't need shrinking. That's what I did to my Zagi and it's only lifted slightly at the nose where I kept bouncing it. dont know

I didn't shape the wingtips on my WT.

Ian

Edited By Rentman on 22/03/2013 23:41:49

Just had another thought, before i go shopping for the other bits i need has anyone fitted an aerotow release to one of these ifso how & how well does it go as a flat field thermaller?

I only ask 'cos my normal club has a few people who are into providing aerotows but not seen anyone with a Wildthing being hauled aloft!

CB

Apart from looking like you were too lazy to bother to round them off a little, the model will not fly. At all.

Upon your very first attempt to launch, the vortex created at the square tip will cause an immediate and fatal failure of the laminar airflow, the tips will stall, and the model will simply be blown upwards, above and behind your head. It will behave like a sycamore seed, or tailess heli - the elevons will have no effect, so it will be uncontrollable - wildy gyrating and flat spinning along in the wind, until it eventually crashes back down, probably into the most expensive vehicle in the nearest car park.

Your Insurance will be void, and you will have to sell everything and everybody you love to pay your huge legal bill.

See what I mean about Ughthumbs down

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 25/03/2013 22:05:47:

I only took the edges off my wing tips to remove the sharp edge, flies a treat, you won't be disppointed.

I still need to do something with the wings on mine which are curling upwards now after 18 months of hard flying

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

See....if you had properly rounded them, they wouldnt be curling smile p

Right, Purchased Servos, Battery and some Yellow & some Blue tape to go with the orange!

Now i just have to wait till it's warm enough to get outside to sand the leading edge!

Tim, will Yellow, Orange and Blue be garish enough to cancel out the problems with the laminar flow? or do i need Dayglo Green on elevons & fin aswell?teeth 2

My very first sloping experience was maidening my wildthing ( alan head actually flew and trimmed it for me ) along with 17 others, at a modelling holiday down Filey way. I was attacked viciously, and learned combat VERY quickly - they say your a virgin on the combat slope scene until you have been struck in combat - and I was hit MANY times that evening, but never had so much fun in all my life !!

Yes, I am lucky to live withing 15 minutes of what is arguably the best coastal slope site in UK - the Great Orme.

Long Mynd is almost 2 hours, and with the price of fuel etc... I rarely stray from the Orme - except for the PSSA stuff on Lleyn Peninsula, and Greenacres.

Posted by Tim Mackey on 26/03/2013 16:56:59:
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 25/03/2013 22:05:47:

I only took the edges off my wing tips to remove the sharp edge, flies a treat, you won't be disppointed.

I still need to do something with the wings on mine which are curling upwards now after 18 months of hard flying

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

See....if you had properly rounded them, they wouldnt be curling smile p

Guess I'll have to fly around inverted for a few months to straighten the wings wink 2

It seems Big Phil and myself are the only "combat" fliers in the Welsh valley's, which although fun, isn't as much fun as when there are a few of you.

Long Mynd is about a 2 hour drive for me too. Someone was going to arrange a "meet" last year at Long Mynd, being a half way point between north and south Wales, but that didn't happen. Shame!

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

They Really Do go together Very Easily Don't they?!!!

Wings Covered & Servos Fitted, Elevons covered & fitted, fin covered, fuselage covered all in about 3 hours work!

The Hardest part was getting the tape to lie (Reasonably) flat around the compound curves!... Mind You it would have been even worse if I'd rounded the Tips off!cheeky

So tommorow is just fit fin & fuselage to the wing then I'll attempt to post some photos.

CB