Flying Sunglasses

Chris Salomon

I tend to go flying in the early morning/evening but the big problem is the low sun, particularly this time of year.  Sod's law dictates that the sun is always in the worst place such as at the end of the strip, just where you are turning out!

I use dark tint wraparound sunnies, non-polarised but I have been wondering if there is a better option.  We've all seen the ads in the mags for purpose made flying specs ("I see, I see........" etc etc) but do they offer any benefit?

Advert

I'm only up the road from you Jetsome at Llanfynydd, just north of Wrexham.  Maybe it is because I live in Wales that I struggle with the sun when it does show up!

Found the answer today, went flying in the morning and struggled to see the model (which prompted my thread) so I went out again this afternoon when the sun had moved and it was much better (yes, Timbo, I know, it doesn't move, we do! ).  The only trouble with this is the local chavs have emerged from their pits by late afternoon and are using the football field for ............err..........playing football!  Cheek!

And here's a thing, when I was a kid, if I had witnessed someone flying a r/c plane, I would have been enthralled and would have watched every manouvre, these modern day kids don't even bat an eyelid!  I suppose it is just that it is more commonplace these days, or maybe my flying is too dull to be noticed?  I even got my aerobatic jobbie out but still nothing, they just carried on with the F word!  Right, I'm ordering a smoke module for it, that should do the trick!

Chris,

I got a pair of presciption axis gasses ( I see....) and found them very good for making the model stand out better in both bright blue aand cloudy sky , with less eye strain - but I still avoid flying in the same section of the sky as the sun- I know my place in the scheme of things!!

axis also do a darker glass which I presume will cope with flying in same section as sun - you can only check web site and make up your own mind.

FTB - modern kids are too used to planes to bother.  when I did my social bit with the ATC cadets , I was amazed that the sqdn had to scratch around to get enough cadets to go for flying experience. i think the kids joined more because their mates did or it was something to do etc etc  - but rarely because of an interest in aviation, altho now and again you got some where the interest really sparked and took off ( pardon pun )

john