Leccy Bobcat

Tim Mackey

Advert

Steve, 

Great article and it certainly gives food for thought on using electric in a jet instead of a glow. I would imagine, although not a turbine, the sound is quite acceptable on a pass and certainly an improvement on a glow. Sorry I just cannot imagine hearing this jet with the sound of a 4 stroke!

Have to agree with Timbo on the retracts although I can imagine your dilema, and full marks on the engine mount.

So what are the electric options? Is your power train likely to be a good datum to start . . . . guess you can already hear the cogs in motion and those model shows are not far away. M m m m its an old trick but it might just work!

Regards,

Phil. 

i've heard one with a 4st believe me the sound does'nt fit the shape if you know what i mean,

as i've already written 5s is a good starting point you need 700watts plus to fly this beastie so start from there obviously the more power you can stick up the back the better. if you've not already got cells or motor go for 6s as the watts will be higher for less amps or try a fan if money is'nt an object a good 90mm fan with 1200watts plus should give it a good turn of speed

regards

steve

Just remember to ensure the chosen ESC, motor and prop / fan will be OK on 6s and the resultant RPM and wattage

For 1200 watts - you would pretty well have to be on a 6s Lipo pack otherwise the resulting Amps will be very high. Even on a 6s that comes out at 57A, on 5s it would be nearer 70A !!

Thanks Guys,

As an original oily head now embracing the electric side of the hobby as well, I am finding it really enjoyable AND educational. I almost understood every word you guys said . . . Seriously, it must be rubbing of on me!

Thanks everso,

Phil.

• 8 months later...

Just converting a KeeCat 65 now, once I've recovered the model with Mick Reeves aluminium sheet foil. I have both an used (yet!) 90mm AP900 fan and HET 600-33 for EDF power and a 1450watt outrunner, should i decide to just convert to electric pusher prop power - still undecided, i think the duration and ROG distance will decide - I feel a few test ground runs coming on!!

AUP should be about 2.5 - 3Kg (5.5 Lbs - 6.6Lbs), so requiring between 1000 and 1400 Watts, both power plants should be OK, although run on 6S Lipos I expect the Amps will be in the region of 45-60 Amps (depending upon power option), which should give about 7-9 mins duration, based on at least some 1/2 throttle usage!! . I will start with a 100A OPTO ESC, although I might reduce this down to an 80 Amp.

Of course changing to 8S Lipo would reduce this to between 33 and 47 Amps, atlhough I'm not sure the HET motor would take more than 6 S.

So go on, what do you all reckon, EDF or pusher power????. I bought this as in 'intro' to jet flying, before I move onto the Tamjets 1:12 EDF F-16, which is sat in my garage 1/2 built and looking very fast and twitchy!!!

Very fair point; 3 degrees above hoziontal worked a treat on the ROG distance  on my EDF F-20.

I will see how she fairs once completed, the Keecat 65 has a very thick wing section, although it clearly reduces towards the tips, I am assured she glides like a big trainer - so I presume lift shouldn't be a problem.

Everything can be solved with additional thrust!!!

Steve - I have a Bobcat powered by a Jen57 which flies beautifully but is very noisy, mainly because of prop noise. With glow motors the pusher range available is very limited but with electric and being able to make the motor turn either way I guess you can use std tractor props. If so what size do you use and how noisy is it? Subjective impressions will do.

Someone else was talking about the Bobcat being difficult to get in the air, and Eric did recommend making sure you have a reasonable amount of positive while it is on its wheels. He is dead right. You need at least a degree or two or it just will not lift off, and the main wheels are so far behind the CofG that no matter what you do with the elevator it will not rotate. I eventually wound my own nose leg that is about 1/4" longer than standard and made out of much better wire just so it would always lift off by itself. The downside of that of course is that you really have to get the nose up on landing otherwise you bounce your way down the runway. Some people advocate having switchable up on the ailerons (about 1/8") just to help get the attitude right.

And I must agree about the u/c. When I get my next one (for electrics) it definitely will have retracts. It always looks wrong going by with the wheels hanging down.

Alan

i use standard tracter props yes 12x8 or 12x10 but a pusher will always be noisy there is no real way round that .it is something to do with the props proximity to the rear of the wing. you could go edf that would probably be quieter

my elevator set -up is as is but they do need near on full flying speed to rotate i've not put extra hieght on the front leg at all. as i said i'm not keen on fixed undercarriage but with both my flying fields i have no choice they eat retracts on models i can slow down the cat comes in very quick so retracts would not last one flight.

nasa

• 2 years later...
Posted by Ian Budgen on 25/04/2011 00:28:26:
Anyone know where I can get hold of a keecat 65/bobcat 52 or 46 or a goldcat 44 in the Uk?

I was looking for a .50/.60 size cat last weekend after planting my Lightning Dart wing, but couldn't see any in the UK. Ashford Models seem to have stopped importing them. Are there any more hidden away in need of a new home, or am do I need to resurrect the LD in order to utilise my pusher pipe & props?