Already at home?

Mark Lubbock

This thread tends to be about what is available cheaply out there, however have you looked at what you can recycle at home?

I recently scrapped a DVD/VCR combi-instead of chucking it, I cannibalised it & got a jar full of small screws, lots of wire & connectors, aluminium sheet, brackets & possibly the basis of a brushless motor.

Other thoughts include Kid's toy packaging-screws, acetate sheet etc.

Broken toys-timers for FF, small motors, batteries etc.

Drinks cans for lithoplate.

Plastic bottles for canopies.

& don't forget Easter is coming soon & here are many ready made canopies up for grabs!

I'm sure you can thonk of more!!!

Advert

Don't get me started

Many of the cardboard tubes used to hold cling film/tin film/greaseproof paper etc have internal diameters that exactly match the OD of speed 400 motors - instant fus!.

Old credit cards make excellent epoxy resin mixing surfaces

And if you've got a baby that's getting through a tin of milk powder a week......you've got more storage containers than you could possibly know what to do with.

erm......

Old laptop power supplies usually put out 12volts, often at a handy 2amps - and quietly as well!

I'll think of more in time

Alistairt

• 1 month later...

you are both right, i am a big fan of making fittings myself and it saves soo much cash. I always tear apart old electrical goods, esp cd players etc. The small steel or brass drive wheels are well engineered (brass cross haired wheels make small ww1 gunsights) small screws for discreet  hatch and canopy  fittings and jack plugs are great remote electrical connections.I have just priced up a remote glow start connection at £9.50 and after checking through my parts bin have found a 3mm jack plug and socket which is now flush fitted to underside of cowling to make an extremely neat and hidden glow start.  (£10 saved and put towards a Petes Pilot for the office ! ).  Microswitchs are always useful and leds and small bulbs for lamps. I know these things are only a pound or two for a pack but you add up the  packs of screws or fittings in your average build and you will be shocked how much they come to. when accused of being a skinflint i just give them the 'recycling' bit

richard

Whisky miniature bottles for small fuel tanks

- Bells for circular section fuselages

- Johnny Walker for shquare shection fushelagesh

- Gllllennnfffidish for shemmm...sesh...shemishirclar fushellsedges

Ay'm the besht pilot in the word you noooo

I can loop..de loop de loop.....shidewaysh!

God shave the queen!

• 2 months later...

Broken rotor blades off my son's Blade CX2 make perfect epoxy stirrers.

Plastic boxes (emptied first obviously) from chinese takeaways are great for storing all those little odds and ends

And Tescos have those little multi compartment plastic boxes for 99p. I use them during a build to keep everything together once I've opened the poly bags.