The Seagull E-Pioneer thread

Jon

Advert

Finally got round to building mine.  Didn't use the Turnigy 3548, as I've put that in a Weston Mini Hype instead.  Have gone with a Towerpro 3520-7 which I had lying around, 80a Tornado ESC, Ubec, and 5S 4000 batterys.

Will run it thru the wattmeter at the weekend and let you all know the numbers.  Should be adequately powered I reckon

• 5 weeks later...
The Seagull E- Pioneer is a lovely model.It took off and performed superbly.It was nice flying electric again but I did miss the atmospher created by I/C.The only problem was the first battery and taken a charge for some reason although it did show 16v when the charger ended,and the charger read end,confusing.Altogether a most enjoyable evening

A bit windy at the field this evening.I flew the MPX Mentor a couple of times and it was a hand full to land,but great fun.I then flew the Pioneer and was pleased with the way it flies in the wind.More stable more power and a joy to land a real pleasure.Really impressed with this model

I flew my E-Pioneer Yesterday in the Very strong wind. It handled the wind exceptionally well and landed from slower than walking pace right infront of me! Ill say that was my skill . I have to say, this is the easyiest model to land, almost equalling my Easystar!

Flew my Pioneer this evening until thr first battery started to run down.Put a brand new battery in.Went to take off,but the prop ans spinner flew off.Done about 10 flights now so a bit of a surprise.Well NO,the surprise was that when I saw the front of the model the motor was hanging down complete with the front part of the engine mount,pulled clean out.The rest of the mount was all OK,and I could see very little evidence of glue.Ive had 5 Pioneers now and this is the first to have such a problem.At home Ive Epoxied it back into place,Photos will follow tomorrow

After its repair it flew very well and is quieter,so there must have been a .looseness on this joint that I could hear vibrating.Couldnt fly theScorpion as it was a bit windy.Surprised how slow you can fly the Pioneer,and I was caught out both times by the battery going quicker than expected,so 2 deadstick landings,all fine.

Had a good first flight bringing it in slowly and doing touch and goes bit of gliding as well,managed 15 minutes and battery still had power.Much the same on2nd battery,went up high turned it upside down from the top of a loop and it went into a spinning dive I couldnt get it out of.Then had to  get a pair of wellies out of the club caravan,fight through 5 feet stinging nettles into a stream ,paddle along the edge until I reached mt poor destroyed model.When id retrieved all the bits I could see the main receiver was missing.Searched around for ages and discovered it hanging at a good reachable height in a tree.I now have a box of parts for an electric trainer a step forward from the Pioneer.Any suggestions?

• 5 months later...
My Innovator EP was tail heavy and for its first flight had stick-on weights inside the cowl. I've now moved the motor forward, brought the tail servos up behind the rx and used light snakes to connect them to the rudder & elevator. I also used a 3200 3S battery intead of a 2500, nose weight may as well be useful. 3S is plenty. The ESC I used has a 3 Amp BEC to cope with 5 servos and the motor is a GWS 3020/8T and prop is 11 x 5.5 APC. Was flying well, but the ESC seems to have died, have to replace it after xmas. ESC woes are the subject of another thread. A seperate rx battery's a good idea but if the main battery is plugged in the model is still 'live' even if the rx switch is off. I missed the RCM&E test but the Perkins website has a review of the E-Innovator. The Innovator is a good plane, I recommend it.  .  

Hi Busterprop
While I dont doubt anything you have said I must say I'm quite surprised  that your C of G was that far out, did you build it as per the instructions?

When I started this thread I had little idea about building anything and  the C of G was the last thing on my mind. Also thoes that so kindly answered my many questions on this forum had little idea about the EP as it was a very new model then. I simply followed the instructions.

I must have been very lucky as just by slightly adjusting the position of the battery it flew first time. Then after a few minor adjustments to the trim it was a dream and it even impressed my I/C loving instructor!

As for flying slowly I even managed to hold her at about 10ft of the ground at zero ground speed in a very light breeze, once I had passed my test that is!

Jon

Jon. The C of G on my Innovator was only just behind the rearmost point with the battery up against the front bulkhead. I didn't know how it would fly at that point so to be cautious I decided to move it forward how I described. I had to disguise the holes in the fin and stabiliser after I'd taken the servos out. Did your Innovator come with a motor box? Mine didn't, that may have helped. I see by the pics above that the Pioneer has one. With the 3200 battery I get about 250W on an 11 x 5.5 and 310W with an 11 x 7 Master prop, but haven't flown it on the 11 x 7. That's the 100W/Lb that is recommended but as I said it flew ok with an 11 x 5.5 although needing a run to get off.

• 1 year later...
Hi All, this a great thread of information on the E-Pioneer which I too am assembling as a first time trainer, but I have a question regarding how to check the C of G which perhaps someone could advise. In the manual it says that C of G is located 8.5cm back from le measured at the wing tip which is OK - but how is this checked, is a rig required to be built with supports under each wing tip or can the balance points be measured nearer to the fuselage sides, or is there some other tip - my arms don't reach that far!

If you want that level of accuracy, why not stretch a piece of string from the marks as shown, from one wing tip to the other, and transpose the corresponding line onto the wing closer to the fus sides where they pass. You could then balance anywhere along that line IYSWIM
PS: As its a high winger, mark the line ( faintly ) along the underside, and put your balancer points ( fingertips will do on a machine like this ) under the wing, with the centre of mass ( fuselage ) hanging below it.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 27/09/2011 15:01:15

Thanks very much for the advise, that now makes checking the Cof G so much easier to do.

I was also wondering - in general terms about the accuracy of the lateral balance or if this is best left to in flight trimming, the E-Pioneer has 2 servos mounted in the tail plane which makes one wing tip lower than the other, I have offset this a little by mounting the ESC in the fuselage under the wing on the opposite side, which helps, but still seems to tip to the same side, I don't really want to add weight if accuracy in this trainer is not so much of an issue here.