The Seagull E-Pioneer thread

Jon

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all E-Pioneerer's!

The E-Pioneer has flow, just not by me . But we managed to burn the servos out on them . Mainly cos we tried a reciever pack with reversed wires, DOH! Anyway, I know need to buy some servo's. Last time I went with GWS Mini STD servos, which by the looks of things were too big (capable of 3.4kgcm torque!). What size servos does everyone else have in thiers?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben
Have a read of the 4th post in this thread, its on page one.... a list of the bits I used...

I never had any probs with any of them apart from when a I did a full power on vertical nose down landing!

Nice thing about such landings is you only do them once with each plane you fly!

see you at the field some time when this ruddy weather breaks.

Jon

I used these in my Pioneer.

They work fine for me, I was cleared to fly solo by my instructor last Saturday and put it to good use on Sunday as well.

Only problem I've ever had with the model was an initial small puncture in the wing covering on the first visit to the field, ficed with some Blenderm tape, and a bigger puncture coming on on Sunday with the buzz of flying solo!  Will need to recover that section of the wing this week.

The Pioneer has been fantastic, even the IC instructors liked it.

• 3 weeks later...
Or not as the case may be . . .

I've managed to burn out my reciever, for the SECOND time! This time I killed the ESC and UBEC aswell! The first time I didnt burn out the reciever, my instructor did . This plane has more than a bad omen! Well, im ordering cheap this time, £13.16 for the 60A ESC 17.26 for the reciever and a RX battery pack instead of a UBEC, with the idea that im less likely to damage something with a battery pack than UBEC. Also less soldering!
 Im also currently refurbishing a 60" Vintage IC powered plane, lets hope I don't break as much.

Just realised the E-Pioneer has only had one flight whilst breaking £70 worth of equipment! AAAAAHHHHH! Be glad when I get my A  . . . .

Ben.

Ahh, well my instructor and I have got it down to a fine art! The first instance:
  The plane was down the field, but the lipo wasn't charged or something. We couldn't wait to see if I had got the control throws right. So a bloke down the field got his RX out of his old motor glider he had bought off ebay. So we shove the battery in,  a few seconds later, puffs of smoke and the smell of burnt electronics. AAHHH. How did we do that?  The RX pack was an old Sanyo/Sawna (can't remember which), which happens to have reversed polarity. i.e. +ve where -ve should be and visa versa. Doh! Well we won't burn out a receiver out again!
 Now for the second instance:
After burning out the receiver last time we realised that we had also burnt the servos out! So off to BRC I went to order thier 2.0kg Torque 9g servos, 4 for £15! They arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait. Got the plane out, and pluged a new reciever in (which my instructor had kindly given me having felt bad about last time) and the one surviving old servo from last time. In goes the ESC and UBEC (not on a y lead). Feeling good, I plugged the battery in, in all the excitment I had forgot to put the new servos in. BANG. FIZZ. 'EEWWW, whats that smell'. Aaaahhhh, once again. Unplug the lipo and go in for an investigation. ESC gone. UBEC gone. Receiver gone, hang on, that wires in the wrong place! In my rush, I had managed to put the UBEC receiver wire one slot across. Meaning the +ve wire was in the signal slot and the -ve wire was in the +ve slot. DAMN! So now, as described in my previous post, I've lost that GWS servo; ESC; UBEC & Receiver which had had no flights!

There you go, you never thought It could happen, just one part to my RC story of blowing things up. What will be next?

Ben.

Managed to get myself in a bit of a pickle last night and had to send myself to bed.Managed to bind the pioneer where my Mentor is ,and have some problems with therudder servo extension lead.May not have the pioneer ready today,and havent been able to rebind the Mentor.Seem to have pulled a muscle by a rib now and cant sleep,so dont know how things will pan out later,I want to watch the Grand Prix at 8 so dont know whether to try and sleep now go and work on the planes or what, trouble is I dont feel tired