Max Thrust A-1 Skyraider.

Advert

Managed to find a decent Pilot for this baby. Very cheap from a well known auction site and appears the right scale.

He turned out to be a little too tall for the cockpit. The choices were either to shave him down a bit or cut a bit of the flooring away. I decided to cut him down a bit which resulted in a great fit.

Canopy then installed. It was advised to glue it but i opted for 4 small scews keeping it secure. Less mess if i need to take it off again.

Starting to look ready for business. wink

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 24/05/2013 20:40:52

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/05/2013 20:49:35

Couldn't resist test fitting the prop shaft and beautiful 4 bladed prop today.

Cowl removed in preparation and to just check inside as this is the first time it had been removed.

Prop shaft fitted, threadlock applied to screws.

Stunning 4 bladed prop slid on and retaining washer and bolt secured.

Starting to really take shape and look like a working aircraft.

Also managed to cover the inside battery and servo tray with super strong velcro. Doing this will give me the ability to chop and change where i position the flight battery, ESC, seperate Rx battery and Rx etc....

Thanks for looking.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my son has the Mustang in this series, and had no retract issues. Flying it yesterday, it got caught by a gust and landed slightly sideways. Result - one defunct leg. A rod bent, which stalled the motor and let out the magic smoke. He's sourcing a replacement (not identical) from HK, so we'll see how that goes. It's a shame that these models, which perform so well and look superb, are let down by the U/C. However, I guess at the price we should expect a weakness. As I said to him, the model is so good that if the cheap HK replacement also fails, it's worth spending more cash on a more solid job, if we cand find some.

Ross, I notice that HK also do a trike set for about £30 that has a twist/turn option. Rated up to 3.5kg model weight, they may be worth considering for the mains on your Skyraider.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a slow few weeks for various reasons, mainly work and Nicky having her tonsils out but almost complete now.

Got most of the electrics positioned and secured.

Opted for the AR7010 Rx in the end.

Rx switch with charge lead fitted.

6v Rx Nimh battery nicely secured under the main servo deck as there was a bit of space there doing nothing. Permanently fitted.

Slowly getting into some form of order.

Test fit of flight battery.

More to come soon...

All electrics now done.

All leads connected and secured, only the leads that connect to the wing left loose which makes it look a little untidy.

Nicely labelled up so it saves a bit of time and stops any simple mistakes at the field.

Underneath.

Tail wheel connected to rudder with pull pull system.

Thanks.

Looking good

Just to highlite the problem with the retracts, I took mine down to our fly in at KMAC, I left her on the sidelines all day waiting for a nice quiet period to take her up. Unfortunately she got bogged down on take of and left the ground with too little airspeed and nicely roled over to her left about 6ft up and plonked herself down with a nice thump. When I went over all that was damaged was the prop hub and one retract leg, completely sheared at the point where the locating pin goes through.

I have ordered a replacement pair of legs, but I have also ordered Eflite twist and lock retracts at £72 a pair to replace them completely. Oh and the replacement legs are £22 a pair (not including retract units these are £47 ish for a complete set) and the hub £7 from Century UK so spares are available for them should the need arise.

Quickly just had a little test of the undercarriage by taxiing in the garden. Its not smooth at all as you can see but they seemed to cope with this.

Im sure from what has already been said that that will change but passed this time.

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 29/06/2013 12:22:18

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 29/06/2013 12:22:33

Nice job, Ross - neat installation therethumbs up

That airbrake looks a tad vulnerable on grass, though....smile o

It would be a nice little refinement to slow down the flap and airbrake operating speeds. IIRC, you have a DX7 and that doesn't have a servo-speed adjustment as far as I am aware but a thought for the future may be something like this servo-slow. I used one on flaps before I got the DX8, which has the speed option built-in, and the servo-slow worked very well.

Looking forward to the maiden flight report!teeth 2

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Yeah it does on my grass but it was much longer than where i fly so it should be ok.

Yeah, totally agree so thanks for the tip and suggestion, that's definitely something i will look into in the future.

I have plans to scale it up quite a bit but i want to get used to her and maidened successfully first.