Max Thrust A-1 Skyraider.

So, I eventually managed to maiden her today and confirmed a fact i was always aware of, aircraft DO NOT like flying tail heavy.

I set her all up, taxied about a little, pre-checked everything and committed to flight. My jubilation in the fact that the retracts coped beautifully with the terrain was short lived. As soon as she lifted off, she wanted to bank right and was very nose up! To be honest i thought i had lost her instantly but managed to coax some altitude at a reasonable angle of attack.

However, she was an absolute pig to fly, note i speak in the past tense!

I needed full rudder with aileron to get any decent tidy turn and the continuous nose up attitude meant she was doomed from the start and i knew it. Full down elevator trim did nothing.

I managed to keep her airborne for about 4-5 minutes and that was just to prolong things really as i knew what the outcome was going to be. As i turned crosswind she suddenly snapped and stalled left wing down and disappeared behind the tree line. I had managed to level the wings with a nose down pitch before she disappeared but once she had disappeared behind the trees there was nothing i could do.

I assume i tried to pull up with power which probably compounded things and resulted in another stall and the dreaded BIG BANG!!

I actually for a split second thought i had got away with it and it wasn't going to be as bad as i thought until i heard the bang. A short walk around the trees to the adjacent field confirmed my fears, aircraft destroyed and in several pieces.

GUTTED, my second ever crash, first on maiden flight.

Now, i am 100% sure the CofG incorrectly balanced was the main factor in the crash, obviously compounded by a pilot who couldn't control such a model under those circumstances. It says 75mm back from the wing root in the manual and this is what i set. It seemed perfect so i am shell shocked it was so tail heavy, especially as all the heavy stuff is up the nose.

I am also aware that the ESC placed on the right side probably had a say in the fact she wanted to bank right, but that was manageable.

Oh well, i suppose that's a risk we take whilst applying power and taking a huge breath whilst your model on its maiden pops in to the air.

Pics to follow sometime soon..

Advert

Oh Ross.....I am SO sorry for you mate.....what a way to go!!! crook She looked stunning too!!!

Very frustrating especially as it seems that the given CoG was wrong. It just shows how important the CoG is....check & check again but if its been given incorrectly by the manufacturer what can you do??

That said 75mm sounds about right to me....I wonder where other pilots have set theirs?

Well i put velcro on the battery and on the battery compartment floor so with that and a battery strap i was hoping it wouldnt although i cant confirm it didnt.

One thing i did note was that the model weighed more than i thought it was going to weigh, although i didnt check its final weight.

Still, on a positive note i managed to get 4 x 10min flights in with the Parkzone Extra 300.

Ross that's really bad news mate. And after you've lavashed so much care on a smashing installation. Sometimes I fear that instruction manuals are written before the model is ever flown and the CoG figure give is a glorified guess in some cases!

Easy to be wise after the event but with ARTF's its often worth erring on the safe side and putting the CoG a little further forward than they suggest - afterall as the old saying goes: "nose heavy, flies badly; tail heavy, flies once"! My Sbach is a case in point - CoG on the recomended spot and you have a tiger by the tail. I ended up with it a good 20-30mm further forward and she's by no means nose heavy!

Gutted for you - but glad to see the old PZ Extrra is still going strong for you - great little model. I still have mine, but she's looking a little "battle scared" these days!

BEB

Good for you, mine is nearing the return, there's a lot more epoxy and superglue involved. I've waited for a friend to re make the adaptor that screws to the front of the motor, it was bent in my crash (the battery became undone and ejected itself, the bits spirralled down slowly breaking various bits) That arrived yesterday so now I'll try again!

Good luck!

Very unlucky Ross I do hope she flies again.
I did read somewhere that the underwing missiles etc do cause quite a bit of drag and also upset the airflow to the wing. Maybe that was a contribution to whst happened?
As far as CofG goes mine is set as per the manual and flew great at this plus it was never flew with missiles attached mainly becsuse our strip is rough and I didn't want to lose them. I personally never got to fly mine becsuse the retract broke on the maiden andher second flight (myfirst) she stalled on take off due to low airspeed. She Iis now nearly ready for attempt number 3.
A few battle scars won't do any harm you'll soon have her airborn again I'm sure

Ok, so damage report isn't actually as bad as i thought at first, that's my optimistic head on.

I have checked all the servos and they seem to have survived and are operating as normal. One wing is completely in tact whilst the other one appears to be fixable without too many issues. The wing strengthener is very fixable and to be honest i think the prop is too.

The main areas i think i will have a problem with are the nose and cowling. I am however determined to get her flying again.

Also, same as bucksboy my prop adapter is bent but may be able to get someone at work to re-work a piece like that.

Certainly not defeated, yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

After much deliberation, I have taken the decision to break this model down rather than fix her. Mainly as I just dont have the time to spend on the re-build. I will keep the airframe for future use unless anybody else wants her for spares.

I am going to sell the servos, ESC and linkages etc..

To be totally honest as well, i think this model may have been just that little step too much for me.

I have already purchased my next one, a Kyosho Calmato ST EP 1400.

If anybody wants any spares or things included (apart from Rx) let me know.

Cheers and thanks for all the help, Ross.