Model Flying Centre

About ten years ago I saw an article in an American Magazine about a model flying centre and museum in England. This had a large clubhouse, wide grass runways and a boating pond. There were photos of the facilities and I remember seeing pictures of rows of models and planes in the museum. I think it was called something like Goose Green and was possibly in Nottinghamshire. Does anybody know anything about this or was it a spoof.

There is a Model Aviation museum at Goosedale in Nottingham

This is from the site i found.

http://www.planetware.com/nottingham/bestwood-model-aviation-museum-eng-nt-modavi.htm

Model Aviation Museum

Goosedale Farm
Moor Road
Bestwood NG6 8UJ
United Kingdom 

Over 100 RC aircraft are to be found in this impressive museum. Of particular note in the collection is a Lancaster with an 18' wingspan and a 1/3 scale Hurricane.

I think you will find Goosedale disappeared many years ago. I flew there several times in the late 80s, but as far as I am aware, an american operation bought up most /all of the stuff, and the site is no longer operating - shame as it was superb day out and fantastic RC flying venue,- maidened my first ever "jet" there...IC pusher configuration F16.

Electric flight was very infant in those days with buggy style brushed 600 cans etc.

As I say.....it was a superb facility, with fantastic models on display in the free museum, including the very Enola Gay model they used in the film... whatever it was called. Acres and acres of wide open mowed flying strips, great on site restaurant, sticky buns the lot. Fabulous. I believe planning regs and land prices and politics etc finally forced the sale, with most models ending up in collectors hands.....many USA

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/281351343_e4a216dfe0.jpg

Incidentally there are some impressive medium-sized models of WW2 British bombers in the café of the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington.  They all appear to be IC powered, and I don't know if they are still radio-equipped or airworthy, but I recall Lancaster, Halifax and Stirling being represented.

I've just tracked this web site down.  It says "Model flying commenced at 'Goosedale' in 1989 and shortly afterwards the 'Goosedale Flyers' club was established. The name was changed to 'Leen Valley Model Flying Club' following the death of Mike Ward, founder of the Model Aviation Museum (which was internationally renowned as a center of excellence for model flying).  The site is now a private residence, and we continue to fly at Goosedale by kind permission of the owner, Mr G. Hayer."

So there you go.  Maybe a topic for an RCM&E retrospective feature, Mr Ashby?  Might be tough to research, though, since Mr Ward is deceased.

• 14 years later...

I remember a couple of BEFA electric events there in the 80's and flying in them. The then Leicester Model Spot also ran a trade stand on at least two occasions.

Sticks in my memory, as busy sat chatting , instead of concentrating on charging a pack , produced a good contact burning splash. The gold plated basket on a 4mm plug lost some parts acting as a fuse....not recommended.  We all jumped!

Was an excellent site, altho  at least one model inadvertently ditched in the pond.