Nigel hawes EZE-FAN plan Enlargement

Myron Beaumont

Before installing my recently aquired EDF gear in "the Hawk " have decided to make up an EZE-FAN (RCM&E July 2007 free plan ) as a test bed to get the hang of lekky stuff .Has anyone built one as I am thinking of scaling it up to 36" span from 30" as my calculations lead me to believe that the wing loading will exceed the recommended  19 oz per square foot if I dont since I'll be using a 4s lipo (Total wt of all gear comes to 18 oz / 500 gms leaving the model alone needing to be no more than 4 oz 'ISH . The increase in wing area I calculate will allow me with this modification to get a loading as stipulated .Or should I save going to the drawing board & build as is ?  Would appreciate comments etc.

Timbo   Thanks for reply Have drawn it up at 1.2 X size on plan -makes it 36" span .Looks right if nothing else ! Will make up a wing of thin ribs covered in 1/16 " balsa 'cos that's what I have in my spares box( not 3/8 soft  balsa) & will use pine as on the plan for LE 5 mm square not 4mm(have it in the same box)  Wing area will be approx 260 square inches Seems about right  Should be a bit more docile I think and certainly be able to be hand launched .Hope micro servos will do their job OK ?One per aileron & one for elevator ! Will make the fan assembly removeable with clamps(beer can material ) held with servo screws ! so as to be able to fit in the Hawk later .Really enjoying this venture into the unknown.As long as it turns out to be a good test bed that is OK with me.Shall make it tomorrow !

Grumpyish! Myron

Well done matey....especially glad that you are enjoying the trials and tribualtions....all part of the rather steep leaning curve my friend.

Please let me know when you are ready to do a static bench test of the fan though....you MUST do this before fitting it into ANY airframe. Servo screws to clamp down a 70 / 90mm fan unit...I dont think so  my friend !!

OK  Point taken. Will do bench test of course before installation in anything. Will reinforce fuselage for mounting screws or bolts .Probably a thin layer of GRP (getting very weight concious though) not knowing what to expect yet on the first run up .'ER  indoors is going to write down whatever I shout out on the first run up -Quickly ! She has her uses & tell you the truth I think she's nearly as excited as me .I'm going to wear my safety glasses aswell (before you tell me to)Thanks again  Myron

Funny that my missus is pressed into service for exactly the same thing whenever I do static runs -  I prepare the paper for her, with the columns marked out ready...... Amps I Volts I Watts I RPM

I then stand at the rig watching the wattmeter and RPM counter ( except for fans which I have not yet found an RPM meter for ) and go straight to WOT for around 20 seconds SHOUTING out the numbers for her .
These then get entered into my little home made spread sheet ( excel format if you want a copy ) to analyze and compare, this S/sheet formulates the watts per pound , duration, maximum current versus available current ,etc etc -over a nice cup of coffee and sticky buns of course

Timbo    EZE -fan 1.2 X size just needs covering   Weight is 8 oz !Built up wing and all .With all the other bits Fan/Lipo/ESC /Servos/ should weigh approx. 24 oz . Same as the original max.weight .Wing loading works out to be 13.71 oz /square foot  Not bad Eh .!What do you think? Am waiting for postman to bring my connectors & servos .Have made airflow into the fan more aerodynamic as well not just a tapered pod Extremely inefficient in my book ..

• 8 years later...