Reviewing The Reviews

Capt Kremen

Having an hour to kill waiting whilst SWMBO went shopping, I browsed all the aircraft model magazines in the local W H Smith.

Something that struck me about most, (not all!), was the incompleteness of reviews. To expand ...

I am interested in reading a review if (a) I am contemplating purchasing that model/kit/product or (b) already have said item and wish to 'compare notes' and the reviewers experience etc. to learn something new that might benefit my experience in using the product or flying the model.

Many flying reports often amount to almost a few throwaway paragraphs no in depth analysis of flying in different conditions, different configurations etc. Some, (not all!), are little more than thinly re-worded distributors press releases. Where are ALL the details?

R/C equipment used i.e. Rx, Servos, ESC, Batteries, Show a picture of the actual installation too. The C of G position as flown and any range experimented with. Control throws / rates / expo. Motor & ESC (Electric flight), Props used and others tested. A.U.W. in flying trim. And perhaps a precis review 3 or 6 months later reporting how the owner is getting on, any faults or unusual wear 'n tear that has developed that others might be alerted to and avoid.

Finally, I read a few reviews in an overseas model magazine too ... a pity they had to chop down trees and waste it for the paper ... that's all I have to say !!!!!!!!!

Advert

One thing I'd really like is if at the top of the pages next to the name of the thing being reviewed they'd put the RRP! Or perhaps put it at the top of the article. So often I get all excited then find out there's no way I'd ever be able to (or prepared to) spend that much money. Currently I have to look at the last page of the review (for the factfile) first and then read the review- at least that way I know whether it's a viable proposition or a "blue sky thinking" day dream.

Articles often talk about a "price point" but it's only at the end of the article that you find out what it is. It would be easier to interpret statements about the quality of the reviewed item (and it's accessories) if there was some indication of price early on.

The review of the Tornado in the June edition is a good example. A review specifically aimed at building a traditional kit (the emphasis on "building"!!), and with loads of colour photos - not a single one of the build process!!! Come on!! Rich

This is one of the reasons I no longer buy any mags. I started taking RCM&E from issue 1 in 1960 and still have all of them (along with many other titles) up to the time I stoped last year. I can't see the point in paying out for what amounts to no more than a handfull of pretty pictures. Once you filter out the rubbish you get more useful and up to date info from the various forums.

Ben B. good point in these cash strapped times to highlight costs and the fact they either omit or at best try not to highlight the price.

IF the review does (eventually) show a RRP, (for the kit or product ONLY), it often fails to mention all the additional essentilal required items. OK so much is taken for granted but an outline of number of servos, including recommended type/torque for example so those unaware don't fit inappropriate types.

Less description of 'The model comes in a pretty cardboard box' wouldn't go amiss either. I'm not interested in flying the packaging!!!

some times the reviews are hard to be subjective about....when you are a newbie they are a source of much needed info......when you have been modelling for a long time(me) ....you tend to pay lip service to them.....as for the rest of the mag(s) content...there is something in................ that is worth reading ...

ken anderson ne..1 ..... review/mag dept....

I don't want my comments being seen as a criticism- rcm+e is excellent and imho beats tge competition hands down. Just wish there was a price guide at the top to reference my expectations to e.g. If the article says the accessories are rubbish i would view it differently it was an eighty quid hack than i would if it was a 300 quid keeper.