Raptor 30

Granddad

Hi

Down at my local shop is a lovely second hand Raptor 30, it comes complete with all starting equipment and ff9 radio, all for £350. According to the shop it's had very little use and they are selling it for a customer who has started r/c cars.

Is this a machine suitable for beginners, I have limited experience on a mini pred but would like to progress to nitro and have read that these helis are more stable.

Any advice much appreciated

Andy

Advert

Hi Andy

Good machine to start nitro on. Spares in abundance and wont break the bank. Make sure that you get yourself a training carriage if you go for it.. I was offered the same set up last year (ready to go) without the starting equipment for £600. Very good Radio. I suppose you could get the 2.4 module if you wished in the future if you wanted to go that way.

AL

You won't look back Andy, as long as the sales spil is legit. Check for wear on everything and hold both blades and twist them gently in opposite directions and up and down, not a lot should give any play. Mine is still pretty good after 200 flights and 7 years with no replacements just a clutch and liner.

You won't know the condition of the engine until it's run and set up correctly, that may set you back another £80-100 if u/s or run lean. I was burnt by my first heli, that was hanging on the ceiling of a model shop that in a very short time needed an engine (straight away really) and all the head was worn, I didn't know any difference at the time. My one also had obsolete currently made spares but the Raptor is such a massive seller, that wouldn't be a problem for many years.

Mine is so smooth and stable on an intermediate setup that going from the mini helis I fly most (Twister CP etc..) the Raptor just sits there and seems to give me seconds more thinking time all the time.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii216/YTSpitfire/oct200720052.jpg

Good luck..................

Sounds great Andy, hopefully the shop owner could help set it up for you and give it a quick flight test if necessary being a member of the club you'll be in..?

I still fly with the original wooden blades on mine too...I have some carbon ones that I got from a fellow heli flyer in our club, but still haven't put them on..! I fly it scale though with no aeros only stall turns. I have needed 3 engines in it though but haven't looked back in the last 5 or so years with an OS 32SXH fitted.

Cheers.