Back at it....

Some excellent metalwork there RLG....thumbs up.......however.....

In the UK metal props are discouraged by the BMFA. In the BMFA handbook under General Model Safety it states:-

"On internal combustion engines & electric motors, metal propellors must not be used"

Certainly any model that turned up at BMFA affiliated club site fitted with a metal prop would not be permitted to fly.....

Advert

Hi, I don't want to make a big thing about this - and I certainly don't want it to hijack an otherwise excellent thread - but I must underline Steve's comments. I would put it stronger than he has;

for the benefit of the less experienced among us; metal props are an absolute "no-no" in the UK. As you can see from Steve's posts the words used by the BMFA are "must not be used".

Of course RLG is not subject to this rule and is free to use them - and it's very interesting to see how she makes them - all part and parcel of being an international forum so that's fine! But the fact remains that we have to say, for the benefit of those flying in the UK, "do not try this at home"!

Now, let's get back to the model,...smashing stuff!

BEB

STEVE, I don't think that RLG means to rock the boat and is probably not into the club scene, also probably never flies anywhere near a bulls roar of anyone who might get in front of these machines. Obviously all the flying takes place on private property and well away from the general public.

If those are the rules in the UK ( I'm sure there are rules concerning them here too), then you will have to abide by them and of course I wouldn't recommend using these props where those rules apply, or where they are going to hurt someone. - but...I've seen plastic and C/F props attached to IC engines do an awful lot of damage too!

BEB, as you say,let's concentrate on the sheer artistry of this member who can turn just about any piece of scrap into a (useful) work of art and gets more flying fun for next to no cost than just about anyone else on the planet!

thumbs up

Woops, One of the side effects of not having to follow the rules I guess..... Thank you all for your very considered,( and considerate) response. As Percy says, I had no intention of rocking the boat! I am quite happy to accept that the way I do things may not be the best, right,(or even legal!) way about it, it is simply what works for me. I did have concerns about using metal props, more from the point of veiw of bending the blade straight too often and weakening it to the point of failure, but the soft ali gives ample warning of becoming fatiged. From a' finger in the prop point of veiw' I've never broken a prop by putting my finger in it, wood or plastic, so I didn't consider the metal was a problem, from that point of veiw. I think,rather, the sharpnes of the tips is much more of a concern, hence the well rounded tips. I was in two minds about posting about my prop, and have given them six months of testing first, to be sure.

Once again, thanks for the generous and measured response, You are all a great bunch of guys, to be sure!face 1

Well the plane is ready to go. I would have flown it last weekend, but I couldn't get in the car! So it sat at work, while the flying weather was perfectangry 2 Oh never mind. I took the station wagon in this week, so now we're set- except the weather aint so good!teeth I don't much like first flights and want to get it over with....

Here's a couple more photos in the meanwhile.

dscf4903 (640x480).jpg

dscf4901 (640x480).jpg

Thank you, Bob and Martyn

I'm pleased to report: She's a cracker! Yay!cheeky

Maiden this morning, sadly too early for the photographer, (Still in bed!) Sunny, Flat calm. She flew straight out of a hand launch, no more than two clicks of trim, and she was hands off. Rock steady, but still nicely responsive. A few circuts, a couple of loops and rolls for good measure, (wasn't quite brave enough to try inverted, next time) Then down to a perfect landing. (My fencing wire undercarriage is well up to the job)

Very happy indeed! (wiil get some photos up soon...)

Thanks all.

RLG.

We've had a few reasonable days now since the first flight and being a Saturday night, the time is starting to slip by with still no more photos or videos,

I really do think I need to get out a bit more often, I'm sitting here glued to the computer waiting for and expecting regular footage from you!

I dunno why I'm doing that, given that I already know that the only thing that I can expect from you, is the unexpected! (does that make sense - am I'm going mad?)..embarrassed

Hi there Percy.

Had a flight attempt yestaday, one of those days when nothing goes right.angry All set up, my L&M standing by with the camera. Wouldn't start... check the plug, no glow, it was a new plug, so I assumed a flat battery. Wade back across the river, get new battery. Still no glow. Wade back across the river, pull plug out of another engine. Fires but wont run, then wont fire at all. New battery flat (And it was a new battery too!)angry 2 By this time it's too dark, so I give up.

Tonight, however, she fires up first flip, and I get a good flight. (glow batteries on charge all day). However , 'the boss' decides it's too dark for photos (well I was having trouble seeing the plane!) Back in for a not perfect, but upright and unharmed landing. So sorry you shall have to wait a little longer..... But we'll get there.

Going Mad? well you have to be, in this game, don't you?!wink 2

Just goes to prove really that we Kiwis are true pioeers, in every sense of the word, such perseverence and wading through rivers etc, - Edmund Hillary would be proud! We'll just take your word that all went well! and hope the videos will turn up sometime.laugh