beginner plane

Darlo0161

Just started flying and my hobbyzone supercub doesn't have aierilons.

I need to upgrade at some point in the future, is a biplane too much plane ? I'm going to build and rather than build another high wing the devil on my shoulder is saying "go on its got a high wing and a low wing so double the fun.

Advert

Well it depends a lot on what biplane you might be thinking of. Generally speaking biplanes are a lot more "draggy" so unless you have "power on - fly it in" landings sorted may not be a good idea. They (particularly scale old-time - ie WWI etc) also tend to be trickier to turn - they often exhibit adverse yaw and need a fair bit of co-ordinated rudder in the turn. Also of course some modern biplanes are a bit of a "handful" - your Pitts Specials for example - very aerobatic but you need to be on top of it 100%.

So, overall - bipes are not an easy option.

BEB

Hi Darlo, I would say that's a bit ambitious to go go straight for a biplane, especially if you havent flown a plane with ailerons, A Biplane needs a lot of input by the pilot and I would recommend building a high wing plane with ailerons first and really get some good practice on that, Then make your nexy plane a low wing plane ..............A tail dragger as again most biplanes are tail draggers and going from a standard high wing trainer to a low wing tail dragger is quiet different as you start to notice the torque as it feeds its way up the strip and you will learn to control it. This will make your progression to a biplane much better and you probably wont end up bringing home in a plastic bag full of bits. Also the building will be easier if you progress this way as you will need to put a low wing on and a high wing on also you need to get the incidence of the wings correct which is very tricky at first. My first biplane is a Galaxy domino which I progressed to by building the Gazelle then the Scorpion all 3 are still flying and are great planes to fly, I converted the Scorpion into a tail dragger whilst I was building it.Good Luck and dont try to run before you can walk ............................Enjoy it yes

The Tinker was designed by Dave Bodington arguably one of the best designers of british model aircraft of all time. I doubt there was a flying club in the country that didn't have a DB model being flown every weekend 20 to 25 years ago. So he knew a thing or two about model design. He designed the Tinker especially for beginners. The Tinker Major is a slightly larger version with ailerons but still designed as a first or second model. My father flew built and flew a Tinker as his first rc model when he progressed he simply built a lower wing with ailerons and reduced dihedral.

DB sport and scale offer a plan pack and excellent service and back up.Hopefully there will be a few more modellers who will post affirming how suitable this model is for a beginner. I do not know how to put on a link to their web site but if you google DB sport and scale it will get you there.

Roger

Thanks (I had already found that as well as you tube footage) its not a Pitts bit I do like it a lot.

It's a real bare bones pack and I need to work out what engine for electric first.

Although a competant model builder I've never built a plane before so I need to plan before I buy.

Thanks though, I want it.

Oh dear, I knew I shouldn't of ventured onto the DB website, ordered a Ghost Rider plan pack!wink

Learnt aerobatics with a Ghost Rider with a K&B 15 1/4 midget racing engine up front!

Looks like I might be doing a bit of power flying next year.

Roger

So a final word for now on this thread and thanks for posting responses.

I like the DB Tinker Major (assuming that it has aerilons) However I want to make it electric and as its not a kit I need to know if I need a minimum strength engine/prop combo and all the RC gear to go inside.

Looks like I'll be googling and forum reading.

If anyone has a recomendation for this model I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone