Linkages between ailerons on Sport Biplane

Hi All,

Flying a Blackhorse Ultimate, you can hear the ailerons flutter at high speed - and there is slop between top and bottom ailerons where they can vibrate.

Anyone know of a decent system that can be assembled at the field, that does not result in any slop?

Just saves me looking through the spares box and improvising!

Steve

Advert

The ARTF "Panic" uses carbon rods with ball joints on each end, the "cup" being fixed into the wings.

This at half aileron span.

This is a totally slop free perfectly aligned balanced movement easy swivelling joint system that snaps apart for transport if needed.

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 20/06/2013 17:59:48:

Aileron joiner

Click for larger image. Simply two horns connected with a clevis at one end. No slop, some say this method leads to different amounts of movement but it has worked perfectly on my Domino.

CS

i do the same as this with 2 servos in bottom wing so i have flaperons

the only other way is 4 servos or have just top ailerons and bottom wing flaps

I have one of the old panics and also a Pits Special. The Pits Special takes about 1/2 hour to rig by the time you have bolted on the wings, bolted in the inter struts (top and bottom), messed about with connecting the push rods between the top and bottom aileron, so it does not get flown very often. The panic however can be assembled within a few minutes, the top and bottom winds as secured in place with rubber bands, the inter struts use large press studs to clip in place (never lost one yet during flying, but if you mess the landing up they just pop off), and the aileron linkages just pop in.

I have never heard / seen the Panics ailerons suffer from flutter, and I push it very hard.

The three Panics I had were fitted with flap on the top wing mixed with elevator. This gives very controllable slow flight and landings plus very square square loops and similar.

If you don't want flaps, why not have another servo on a Y lead driving the top ailerons (if the aileron servo is in the bottom wing)?