Routing Aerials

Scrooge Howard

Hi,
36 Yrs F/W R/c , Decided to try Helis , spent 50 Hrs on "FMS" simulator in preparation . Got myself a "Twister CP V2" electric , managed to do a totally uneventful 1st battery load of hops & hovers in a car park , but didn`t like the last 24 of 38 inches of aerial hanging underneath , (accident waiting to happen , I thought) . Sure enough towards the end of the 2nd battery load , the inevitable happened , when during the last landing , upon settling down the tail rotor entangled the aerial thus stalling the rotor/motor & burning it out .
What within the well established principles , (ie not cutting or coiling), the aerial can anyone suggest how I can prevent this happening again .
I look forward to any ideas you would be good enough to share with me .
scrooge.<!-- / message -->

Advert

Hi Scrooge

One method I have used in the past (I use spectrum now - No aerial problems! ) and a friend of mine who still flies on 35mhz is to attach a plastic tube to the skids (if not already supplied with the heli). Thread the aerial through it towards the rear rotor. Loop a small elastic band through/around the the tail fin and thread the aerial through and tension it and loop it back to the skids and tie it off ( or use another band on the end. You are effectively doubling the aerial but we have never had any problems with range. He regulary flies his Rapture 30 using this method without any problems. It saves it getting caught in any moving parts as you have found out!

good luck

The ghost of past 35mhz flying

Hi Alan ,

I too use 24.iGig these days , seems to solve most problems and it certainly would solve this one.   Unfortunately the "Twister" Is fitted with a single unit which comprises 35meg Rx , ESC  & Gyro , all in one , otherwise I would have slipped In a spare 241 Rx  .  However although  disliking taking liberties with Radio installations I have to agree with you that this case justifies it , and the method you suggest , not involving any surgery , should be quite safe providing I carry out thorough & intensive ground checks first .  In any case , seeing that it wont be flown more tha about 50yds away I feel it`s worth trying , so thanks for your confidence building reply , ghosts & all 

Cheers , scrooge

Hi

It should be fine. Like you say for a heli that size you dont tend to fly that far anyway. Obviously the longer the tail boom- the less shortening of the aerial. If its any help - The Mini Pred for example comes ready to fly with the aerial wrapped twice around the undercarriage and the last 15" down the attached tube. Which is again another method.

Regards

Alan

For the present ,

Thanks Alan  .  I hope to get the new rotor/motor & install it (any time now) , then things should start to get interesting .          Meanwhile  Good egg beating .     Cheers  ,    scrooge 

Hi Scrooge,

I have the Twister CP v2 and have the aerial threaded through tiny holes in the frame supports below the main gear, through a thin tube to the tail post, round the post at the top and back down to the front of the model coiled around the outside of the tube. This isolates the aerial from touching itself along it's whole length and has worked 100% for me in over 2 years now.

The tube runs parallel with the boom..

Good luck.

Hi Dave ,

Wow , I feel it in my waters , this could be the answer. 

At the moment  ,submitting  to the encouragement & advice I`ve  received , (Thanks everybody), I`ve vanquished my "ghost of folding aerials past" , & am indulging in some "Aeriligami" of my own ,the latest being     ---  From skid to tail post & back again to front of othr skid , all enclosed in drinking straws.

Yesterday I installed replacement T/Rotor motor , switched on & all seemed OK  at least within the  confines fo my living room ,(Too small to fly in), & am now awaiting permission of the weather to get down to some serious airbourne checking .

Cheers .    scrooge .

Hi Howard, 

You may also want to tie both skids together with some fine strong thread like dental floss etc to save spreading the undercart if you hit the deck with a bit more of a bump than you would normally desire, bracing across the skids on these minis front and back makes them very tough indeed down below and it doesn't notice in flight..

We won't charge you for the advice Scrooge..let me know if you want a photo of what I'm trying to describe mate..!

Hi Dave,

At the moment I`m using the Perkins training U/c attchment , so whilst taking your point , it doesn`t apply to me right now , but it is a good tip  I`ll certainly be using  when I get confident enough to remove it & start doing my Duncan Osbourne bit.

Still musing over that aerial installation of yours . I suppose it was its similarity to a "Continuously  loaded"  type that affected my waters .

Regards ,     John (scrooge) Howard.

Hi Their Scrooge.

In radio terms its the lenth of wire that is important and you can wind it round the skid in a square pattern as long as you do not cut it short but all ways do the range cheque and you shoud be safe my heli's all fly like this with no problems.

happy flying Owen.   

Hi Owen ,

Thanks for reassurance .    It`s not long ago that I was puzzled as to how anyone managed to roll a Heli` with all that aerial hanging underneath .

scrooge.

Hi Eric,

I suppose you are still frightening the cat .       I now own a Twister CP  V2  "Like wot yew sed" , from our previous contact .  As you can see from my thread starter I  had reservations about  bucking the system , but on balance I`m willing to proceed cautiously , & give the submitted  suggestions a try .

Very interesting that  " Doubling back doubles the frequency",   Does this mean that if I cut the aerial in half  ,  =17.5  first , then double it back , its then effectively tuned back to  35 once again .

Regards ,       scrooge.

Thanks Eric,

The more I continue with this thread the more I realise how little I know about radio .  Think I`ll go & do some flying & balsa bashing whist my head stops spinning , but  I am curious as to  how  this unfamiliar ,(to me), "Constant",  " 300 ", is derived.

Regards ,           scrooge

• 6 years later...