Building Boards

David Tremelling

Advert

I use a piece of 25mm (1") thick ply wood with a size of 12" X 48". never bent and accepts pins well. not treated just had edges taken off. I have heard of people using that board that are used on display boards (can't remember what it is called) with a wooden frame for strength. hope this is some help :-)

Hi. David, If i'ts any help I make mine
of the material used for worktops in kitchens.I'ts usually about 25mm thick, I then cover it with low density fibre board
( sometimes called message or softboard)
You will need to go to a decent wood yard to get it, I've not seen it in DIY stores. Does this help? regards Allan J...TTFN

Meant to say - the most important thig, of course, is to ensure that it is flat. Surprising how even MDF can bow under its own weight if not supported. My own solution is a pair of saw horses from B&Q with a 6'x3' MDF surface and on top of that a secondary board from 3/4" ahrdboard, cork faced. Before starting building this is checked for flatness and shimmed as needed.
Mike

Hi I saw an article recently on the Internet about using a magnetic board. It was very interesting and fast but not really practical unless you intend building a lot of model aircraft. I find the pins irritating these days. I think I will build myself one. You use the high strength magnets from door catches and other such gear.