Seagull Grob Tutor G115

MikeS

I don't have a Grob but I have used

This. True it is in the US but the quality is first rate and I could not find a double leg strut anywhere.

It is not scale either before anyone tells me off. But I've had one on a dual ace for years.

***** I've just read that Fults is up for sale. Get your orders in quick!!******

Edited By cymaz on 20/06/2014 07:09:23

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 20/06/2014 07:06:21:

I don't have a Grob but I have used

This. True it is in the US but the quality is first rate and I could not find a double leg strut anywhere.

It is not scale either before anyone tells me off. But I've had one on a dual ace for years.

***** I've just read that Fults is up for sale. Get your orders in quick!!******

Edited By cymaz on 20/06/2014 07:09:23

Yes Cymaz - that's very like what is on my Monsun and works very well. I picked it up at a Bring and Buy over here 2 years ago - no packaging so don't know the name of the maker.

Thanks

Terry

• 1 month later...

With the grass now being kept short at the club I pulled the Grob out of storage to see how the nose wheel handles.

No issues with it as the ground is harder, dry and the grass is short. As long as you do not bounce on landing then it seems ok.

However a new issue today. I did two flights the first was fine with a good landing and I was very pleased with the Grob.

Second flight was an event. Four minutes in I had been trying a new move. You fly the Grob straight up vertical and as the airspeed drops away you give a full right rudder then left rudder to spin the Grob so it now points nose down just as the Grob stalls and starts it decent down.

It's looks great when done right, however as mine climed up and power was reduced the canopy departed from the Grob.

Not just the canopy it's self but the complete upper assembly. This is one of those times you find yourself questioning as to how well your flight pack is attached and did make the right decision on how to retain it in. Well yes I did.

I pushed the nose forward and reduced throttle to idle. Flaps down to full and did my best to reduce height expecting the now exposed airframe to be damaged from the rushing air. The engine cut causing some expletives from me so no choice but to land where I could.

Got it near to the runway but still a little high and not many options left before going over our boundary to the race course. Split decision to go for the tall grass and let it go in. Gutted.

No damage to wings etc but some glue joints split around the canopy area. The canopy also not damage from its fall but was missing it's screw mount lugs which where still of course in the airframe. Lack of glue again. The engine ran perfectly when restarted.

I have reglued both mounts, here is the before photo with mount back in place showing damaged to wood.

dsc_0093.jpg

Photo of second mount with 30 minute expoxy.

dsc_0092.jpg

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 26/07/2014 09:35:56

• 4 weeks later...

Had a good day with the Tutor

But the last flight with what seemed a greaser of a landing ended with the Tutor bouncing and taking the the front firewall off.

The tip of the front wheel spat went through the bottom of the fuselage.

dsc_0076.jpg

A fair bit of work to repair.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 17/08/2014 15:36:38

Sorry to see that Mike. I managed to cartwheel mine the other week (trying to land too slow in gusty conditions) which damaged the wing root and bent the metal spar, but all now back in flying condition! Luckily the nose was not damaged.

I am sure the repairs will not take long and you will have it flying again.

Tim

So,

Here I am

Living in Munich and a proud Tutor ARF kit owner since yesterday.

I will go for an electric drive and want to use a Scorpion 4020-12 (570kv) with a three blade 13x8 powered by a 5s lipo.

And both pilots will get a free membership for weightwatchers or will be fired. 165gr for two crewmembers are by far to heavy.

I will post updates/pictures here from to time to time.

Regards,

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Time for some first comments/findings

1. Both pilots are out of the box badly injured and heavily overweighted. PIC lost his head and PNF has a lost arm/shoulder.Replacement is on it way from my LHS but I think I will go for something much more lighter.

2. Two CA hinges are missing for the RH flap/aileron. Most likely I will them some day inside the wing...

3. Nosewheel assembly was ok, but only due to the knowledge out of the review and this forum

4. Mailwheel assembly was tricky. I had to cut the axis by appr. 10mm and drilled a slot into the wheel housing. Otherwise it would not be possible to get the wheel/axis combination into the wheel housing.

5. Overall impression for this AFT kit is not bad, but the last one I built from Seagull (the Seafire) was much better in terms of accurcy and oracover work.

6. I added a semi scale lighting (red/green Nav& white Anti-Coll) for the wing tip and will do the same for the fuselage (red anti-colls). The wingtip lights are not tested yet, but I will do this fore sure before glueing the tips to the wing

Regards,

Flint

• 1 month later...

Had a very nice afternoon flying today. The Grob hadn't been flown for some months due to me and SWMBO being on hols, rubbish weather and IC problems at my old club. So today Grobby had an outing to my new club. It was great - really enjoyed flying it and with the more open aspect of my new club and the presence of nice friendly real grass run-off areas I had more confidence with it. Touch and goes (there's tempting fate with this one!) and full stop landings were so much nicer than I remembered them. It's good at accurate flying too. Came back with nose wheel still intact but needs a slight tracking adjustment.

Dead chuffed I took it.

Anyone else still flying one? If not - any spares?wink

Terry

Hi Terry

I am still flying mine. 22 flights so far. I have had a couple of mishaps, including one attempted landing in quite windy conditions. the wind got under a wing at the last minute, and although I applied full power to go around it hit the ground tip first and cartwheeled. I needed to repair the wing at the root, but otherwise it is running fine, although at the last outing I tipped it over on to its back on landing due to the nose wheel bending back (again). Fixed again, but the nose leg does need seem to need constant attention!

Tim