GIMP & Water slide transfers.

Anyone using GIMP or similar software to make Water Slide Transfers? My dilema is, how to print out anything in "White" onto the transfer paper. There is, I presume, no reason for white to exist in a printer cartridge. I can of course leave a transparent area and slide onto a prepared white background. Just wondered if there could be an alternate work around. Any help or discussion appreciated.

Advert

I got some waterslide paper from lazertran.com which remains white if you overcoat it with a water-based varnish after printing, but is transparent if you use an oil-based varnish. I generally use an oil-based varnish (Humbrol) and place the decal on a pre-painted white background though.

Yes - But. I have both types of w/s paper. White and transparent. My problem more specifically is that I want a white bordered lettering (1mm) to go onto red s/film wing - Of course if I use white paper, I would then have cut around the letters. This a mildly fancy script and so not practical. Similarly if I go transparent. I cannot seem to find a solution?????

Hi Airpaddler

The only way to do this without spending ages trying to cut out a thin border on the letters is to print a red background behind the lettering that matches the colour of the s/film. You can then cut around your fancy script with a simple shape (rectangle etc) and have an accurate white border on the letters when you stick it to the model.

The tricky part will be matching the colour of of the covering film accurately enough. If you phone or email the people at Solarfilm they "may" be able to help with an RGB or Pantone colour chart that will make your life a bit easier.

e.g.

text.jpg

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 15/07/2013 13:14:40

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 15/07/2013 13:24:03