Hobbyking/YT/Flight Models KI-61 Hein

Bob Cotsford

So Cosford, there I was with a pocketful of dosh looking for a quick build, just because I can. I couldn't see any GreatPlanes Dirty Birdy or Phoenix kits, next choice would have been an FW190 but it seems someone had already bought the one and only on site from Inwoods. H9 109 or P47? Both were tempting but I wandered on to see what I else I coould find.

What I ended up with is a HK/YT/FlightModel Kawasaki Hein, bit of a joker selling it as he had a tent full of HK gear yet I fell for his 'it's a YT model worth £199' line. As it happens it's more likely one he got with the rest of his gear from HK.

Anyway, it's different, mostly nice with one or two touches that emphasize it's China origin, like the belly rad housing and the wheel well mouldings but on the whole, it should look good.

The cowl and canopy are really nicely finished, except that the canopy frame is bare wood - WHY? I could cut the canopy off the frame, paint it and glue the canopy back on but I'll just stand further back when admiring it instead.

Has anyone flown one or seen one flying? It suggests a 60 2st or 90 4st, and it's quite lightly built with a suggested AUW of just over 8lb but at 71" span it ain't small. I've drilled for a Magnum 90 4st though I'm oh so tempted to slap an ASP 120 4st or MVVS 90 2 st on the front except that I wonder about the motor mount integrity.

I've got a similar span H9 Texan with an early RCV 91CD and that flies ok, but has no power in reserve at all.

What do you think?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/07/2013 11:57:07

• 2 months later...
Advert

The VQ Hein at the club is .46 size, this is definitely for .60+. The rad housing is just a square box so I enhanced it a little with some thick sheet and a razor plane. It ended up with an ASP91FS and E-flite 120 retracts.

2nd flight the left U/C leg collapsed, the wingtip dug in and the wing pivoted back bending the joiner which allowed the T/E to punch through the 1/16" ply fuselage side frame. It turns out the retract mounts are 10mm liteply with a big coutout to clear the leg coil.  All the strength of a dry twig.

Ply splints in the fuselage + hard balsa cross braces to support the t/e position, replace the broken retract mount with 2 layers of 1/4" birch ply and it ws good to go again. 2nd landing and the right hand leg started folding - same story, the liteply mount was breaking up at the cutout. That has now been braced with more birch ply.

Once clear of the ground it flies a treat and the 91 4 stroke suits it perfectly. What a pity iy needed so much work to make a decent model of it. At HK prices it's ok value, at YT prices I would expect better.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 29/09/2013 09:34:34